Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunbambino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
London
Hello on the board,

Could someone cast some light on this situation on a Macbook Pro (2017) running Mojave.

My drive is 1TB, my Apps use 60Gb, my Library is 231 GB, System is 10 GB and Users is 176GB.

This totals 477GB, but my drive reads that 783GB is used.

Have I missed something here or is my SSD likely misbehaving?

And if so is there anything I can do to rectify?

Cheerz

Sun B

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Have I missed something here or is my SSD likely misbehaving?

And if so is there anything I can do to rectify?
With APFS, use of storage space has become more opaque. For example, if APFS makes a clone of a file, and then you delete that file, the clone still takes space. It's hard to tell what's going on, but almost certainly your SSD is fine and there is nothing you need to do. I would be curious to see a picture of About this Mac > Storage.

Reactions: sunbambino

sunbambino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
London
I see re APFS. This makes running a big App like Logic Pro quite uncertain coz I don't really know where I am re space. Just ran Disk Sweeper and it reports 479GB used
Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 15.32.01.png
Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 15.30.19.png

[automerge]1591972846[/automerge]
Just found the 'Purgeable' data via Disk Utility
purgeable.png

[automerge]1591973045[/automerge]
So Disksweeper says something completely different to the Mac Disk Utility, and the Disksweeper estimate (469GB) is correct

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can also try running Omni Disksweeper in what I call "expert mode":
Open your Terminal app. Type sudo, then add one space.
Right click on the Disksweeper app, and choose "Show Package Contents", then open the Contents folder.
Open the MacOS folder, then drag the OmniDiskSweeper file to your terminal window.
Press enter to start the command. You will be asked for your admin password. You will NOT see any characters as you type your password (it's a security feature), then press enter again. The Omni DiskSweeper window will appear. Choose your drive as usual and wait for the results. You may see some difference this time.

Reactions: sunbambino

sunbambino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
London
DeltaMac, what would I stand to achieve with this (slightly scary) Terminal routine? (Even the name 'Terminal' frights the pants off me). Would something simple like Clean my Mac achieve nothing?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It's a mystery, but I wouldn't worry about it. You're not short on space. Consider changing your mindset from “SSD Showing Incorrect Usage” to “I don’t understand where my space is being used” and then forget about it.

sunbambino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
London
After a lot of faffing around with PRAM and SMC resets, Terminal purges, Spotlight re-indexing, and even getting to the stage of wantng to wipe the drive and start again - ALL SOLVED with a simple re-install of Mojave. OSX rules!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.