Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Magor34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Sweden
Hi, as you can see on the picture below, i have an issue where my Retina MBP's SSD shows more than 260GB of free space even if the drive itself is only 250GB.
I have checked my system, user and applications folders, which says i have roughly 80GB in use at the moment.
I have run disk utility to check and repair the drive, unfortunately with no luck.
Disk utility seems to think I use up to 177GB of space and remaining free space is 72GB, both of which seems to be wrong according to my own calculations.
As i remove more and more files from my system, the drive shows just more and more free storage available.

WoB1d

I have also lately had issues to empty the trash. A popup message says something like: "the file could not be removed cause *file name* is currently being used", even if the finder is the only app running.
Just wanted to throw it out there if it might be relevant to the case.

Currently i have no idea to fix this specifically the ssd showing more storage part.
The empty trash part can be fixed by using terminal. But only as a short term solution.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Magor34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Sweden
SSD Image

Here's the picture

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2012-10-30 kl. 20.20.46.png
    Skärmavbild 2012-10-30 kl. 20.20.46.png
    91.2 KB · Views: 121

zObsidian

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
It's the conversion between GB (gigabyte) to GiB (gibibyte). We typically count hard drive sizes as using base-10 values such as 1000, whereas computers use base-2 (binary) values such as 1024. This difference offsets the "actual" versus "perceived" values of what the software reports for the total size of your drive.

250 GiB * 1024 MB/GB * 1024 bytes/MB = 262,144,000 bytes... and that's how you get the 262 value.

Apologies, does "ledigt" mean "free" or "available" in Swedish? If so, that might actually be something else then.

Last edited:

Magor34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Sweden
Yes ¨ledigt¨ means free/available space. But I think the whole thing was just a one time thing, cause now I see around 176GB of free space. So it's getting there on its own I suppose, even if its not quite there yet ;)

Thanks for the info anyhow :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.