Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
I have the opportunity to pick up a 512GB SSD module for a good price but wanted to check compatibility with the Mac Pro. It's a 512GB SSUAX, model number MZ-JPU512T/0A6. Researching this model number shows it to be a MacBook SSD module which has a PCIe 3.0 x4 connection.

According to this link:

The Ultimate Guide to Apple’s Proprietary SSDs

This is a generation 5 drive which should work in the 2013 Mac Pro (even though the Mac Pro has a generation 3 PCIe 2.0 x2 interface). Before purchasing this drive I'd like to know if it will work in the Mac Pro. It lacks a heat sink but I've read that's not an issue with OEM Apple drives.

Anyone know if this will work in a 2013 Mac Pro?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have the opportunity to pick up a 512GB SSD module for a good price but wanted to check compatibility with the Mac Pro. It's a 512GB SSUAX, model number MZ-JPU512T/0A6. Researching this model number shows it to be a MacBook SSD module which has a PCIe 3.0 x4 connection.

According to this link:

The Ultimate Guide to Apple’s Proprietary SSDs

This is a generation 5 drive which should work in the 2013 Mac Pro (even though the Mac Pro has a generation 3 PCIe 2.0 x2 interface). Before purchasing this drive I'd like to know if it will work in the Mac Pro. It lacks a heat sink but I've read that's not an issue with OEM Apple drives.

Anyone know if this will work in a 2013 Mac Pro?
Yes, SSUAX is the original SSD that Apple used with 2013 Mac Pro. Since it lacks a heatsink, it's probably from a MacBook Pro, but works fine.

SSUBX is the later model, from 2015 and later made MP6,1s.

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Yes, SSUAX is the original SSD that Apple used with 2013 Mac Pro. Since it lacks a heatsink, it's probably from a MacBook Pro, but works fine.

SSUBX is the later model, from 2015 and later made MP6,1s.
It's from a MacBook, will that work?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It's from a MacBook, will that work?
MacBooks never had 12+16 PCIe SSDs, only MacBook Air/Pro, iMacs, Mac mini and Mac Pro.
Don’t matter from what Mac, it’s the same but without heatsink.

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
MacBooks never had 12+16 PCIe SSDs, only MacBook Air/Pro, iMacs, Mac mini and Mac Pro.
Don’t matter from what Mac, it’s the same but without heatsink.
Thank you Alex. I picked it up and installed it and it's not showing up in either Disk Utility nor as a target for installation in Mojave. Is there anything special I need to do in order to prepare it (I don't believe so but thought I'd ask)?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you Alex. I picked it up and installed it and it's not showing up in either Disk Utility nor as a target for installation in Mojave. Is there anything special I need to do in order to prepare it (I don't believe so but thought I'd ask)?
Hardware wise, you don't have to do anything, there's no difference with firmwares or anything. Should just work.

Boot from an external disk with macOS installed and see if it's recognised with SystemReport. Check with diskutil list too:

Code:
diskutil list

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Hardware wise, you don't have to do anything, there's no difference with firmwares or anything. Should just work.

Boot from an external disk with macOS installed and see if it's recognised with SystemReport. Check with diskutil list too:

Code:
diskutil list
I didn't think there was but, when something doesn't work the way you expect, you gotta ask. I did boot from a Mojave Installer USB drive, checked with Disk Utility (it wasn't there) and it didn't show as a target when I attempted to install it.

Since you have confirmed it should work it appears to be defective and I'll just return it.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I didn't think there was but, when something doesn't work the way you expect, you gotta ask. I did boot from a Mojave Installer USB drive, checked with Disk Utility (it wasn't there) and it didn't show as a target when I attempted to install it.

Since you have confirmed it should work it appears to be defective and I'll just return it.
Try to clean the golden contacts of the blade and the connector before returning it.

I always apply deoxidant spray before installing anything that it's not brand new. Down here we have an enormous difference with humidity between the rain and dry seasons and that makes every contact oxidate if kept without protection.

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Try to clean the golden contacts of the blade and the connector before returning it.

I always apply deoxidant spray before installing anything that it's not brand new. Down here we have an enormous difference with humidity between the rain and dry seasons and that makes every contact oxidate if kept without protection.
Already done. I lightly rubbed it with a pencil eraser and then wiped it clean with isopropyl alcohol and attempted to reseat it twice. It's either not compatible or doesn't work. My research suggests it should work so I am going to conclude it doesn't work.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Already done. I lightly rubbed it with a pencil eraser and then wiped it clean with isopropyl alcohol and attempted to reseat it twice. It's either not compatible or doesn't work. My research suggests it should work so I am going to conclude it doesn't work.
I've done file retrieval from broken MacBooks Pro that had SSUAX and SSUBX blades with that stupid MacBook Air 2013 PCIe adaptor installed inside my MP5,1, never had a problem with blade compatibility whatsoever. Upgraded some MP6,1 to SSUBX too, never had a problem too.

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
I've done file retrieval from broken MacBooks Pro that had SSUAX and SSUBX blades with that stupid MacBook Air 2013 PCIe adaptor installed inside my MP5,1, never had a problem with blade compatibility whatsoever. Upgraded some MP6,1 to SSUBX too, never had a problem too.
I'm glad to hear as much as it reinforces the conclusion it's a bad module.

joe1946

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Is there a difference between the Apple MZ-JPV512R/0A1 512GB SSUBX vs the Apple MZ-JPV512S/0A1 512GB SSUBX for use in the 6,1 Mac Pro ?

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Is there a difference between the Apple MZ-JPV512R/0A1 512GB SSUBX vs the Apple MZ-JPV512S/0A1 512GB SSUBX for use in the 6,1 Mac Pro ?
No difference, you can use any SSUAX or SSUBX with a MP6,1. The difference is the black heat spreader that Mac Pro blades (MZ-JPV512R/0A1 part number 655-1859K) have from factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: joe1946
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.