Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mister9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I'm a confused little boy.. I've just finally set up a VNC app on my new ipod touch so I can remote desktop to my computer from anywhere. However, I keep reading about this mysterious ssh and how dangerous it is not to use this elusive beast. But then when I look into it, everything seems to only log you in to the computer's terminal.. Can you have it both ways (ssh w/ screen sharing)?

As of now I have "Remote Login" checked along with "Remote Management" in my 'Sharing' preferences. I notice something about ssh in the Remote Login subsection but I haven't used the information given there and I still am able to login with no problems.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
I'm a confused little boy.. I've just finally set up a VNC app on my new ipod touch so I can remote desktop to my computer from anywhere. However, I keep reading about this mysterious ssh and how dangerous it is not to use this elusive beast. But then when I look into it, everything seems to only log you in to the computer's terminal.. Can you have it both ways (ssh w/ screen sharing)?

As of now I have "Remote Login" checked along with "Remote Management" in my 'Sharing' preferences. I notice something about ssh in the Remote Login subsection but I haven't used the information given there and I still am able to login with no problems.

The ssh is a secure way of connecting to another machine via a terminal, and possibly opening new windows in the X11 windowing system, if you use ssh through X11 instead of through the terminal.

The screen sharing, on the other hand, allows a user to see the entire contents of another machine, as if they were directly sitting at the computer, i.e., you get the GUI and everything.

I could probably explain this better, but that's the basic idea....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.