Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freakk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Bronx, NY
Does anyone know how to SSH from one computer to another that is remote, and is on its own seperate network? For instance: At my school, I would like to ssh to my computer at home, but my computer at home is on a home network. So basically, I need to know away to enter the IP to my network, and then my computers network ip? does this make sense? Thanks for any and all help.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
In order to SSH to my Mac at work i first need to connect to the company vpn. SSH must be made over a local connection so without the vpn I can not use SSH to gain access to my Mac.

There is another way I use to access my mac without using the VPN. If your mac has a static IP address, you could load an VNC server on it and then use a VNC viewer to control it remotely. With VNC you are actually seeing your remote desktop and not at the command line like SSH. And unlike SSH you don't need to be on the local network to connect to the VNC server running on your mac.

I use VNC quite often and find it to be exremely useful for working remotely from home.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i'm not the most knowledgeable at this, but you can ssh directly to your home computer if it has a static IP.

if it's on a router, you will need to configure the router to forward ssh requests to your computer.

i guess if you clarified what you meant by 'home network' it may help others answer your question. ssh is not just a local protocol in general...

Freakk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Bronx, NY
How would I go about setting up a vpn? Or, alternately, how would I set up my router (Airport Wireless) to forward SSH requests to my computer? Again, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Setting up a vpn on your home network will be more work than you'll want to do.

To try to get your ssh connection through your router, make sure port 22 is not blocked at the router, and that it is forwarded to you mac.

Keep in mind that the ssh request may be blocked somewhere in between. I can't get an ssh request out from our network at work to my home machine.

Also look into the VNC option as well.

OSXvnc is a great vnc server and "chicken of the VNC" is a great vnc client app.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
the router can be configured by going to the IP address that should be listed in the manual. i have a netgear and it starts something like 192.168.X.X (i can't remember) it's the same addresse you used to control access, admin password and network name. (consequently, it's a VERY good idea to change the admin password... since this IP address assigned to the router is the same for all the models of a company, it's conceivable any wardrivers to just come by and configure your router with the default login name and password...)

one of the properties you can change is port forwarding. point that to whatever subnet address your computer is assigned to. now, under os X, turn on remote login.

if your router has a static IP, you can now ssh to that address from anywhere and it will get forwarded to your computer.

if your router has a dynamic IP, you will need to sign up for a service that will give you a static address to dynamic IPs. after you do that, i think you can ssh to that address... (this last part, i'm not very sure about at all. i'm very much an amateur about this...)

if anyone more knowledgeable knows how to do this, please follow up.

Freakk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Bronx, NY
I got it to work at my dads house (My parents are divorced) where I have a linksys router. THANKYOU SOOO MUCH! But, i don't know how to do it w/ airport! Again, anymore help would be wonderful!

EDIT: Spelling

Jimmy_75000

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
London
Hi,
I might go back a bite but i am trying to get VNC server working on my ibook at home so that i can control it from work but I do have difficulty to connect to my computer.
My config is has follow:
ADSL/ethernet router connected to
my airport
ibook at the end

I can connect to a vnc server from the ibook over the internet without problem but when someone try to connect to my ibook, it keep on failing....
I believe i have mapped the correct ports on the modem (range 5900-5902) for VNC to work...
I have surf around a lot of differente website but can't find a tutorial.
Can anyone help?

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by Jimmy_75000
Hi,
I might go back a bite but i am trying to get VNC server working on my ibook at home so that i can control it from work but I do have difficulty to connect to my computer.
My config is has follow:
ADSL/ethernet router connected to
my airport
ibook at the end

I can connect to a vnc server from the ibook over the internet without problem but when someone try to connect to my ibook, it keep on failing....
I believe i have mapped the correct ports on the modem (range 5900-5902) for VNC to work...
I have surf around a lot of differente website but can't find a tutorial.
Can anyone help?

If I understand you right, you can connect from your powerbook at home, to a computer running a vnc server.

However, you can't connect from work to your ibook at home. This could be your dsl provider blocking incoming connections. It's pretty common.

Also... adsl usually has dynamic ip addresses. That also could be an issue.

Jimmy_75000

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
London
Hi,
thanks for your reply. I do use the service of a company to get a "fix" ip adress and use a software to update it in case it change. I am going to check with my ISP if they allow incoming connection.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.