Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
So there's been a couple of largely sleepless nights trying to figure out what the way forward is, in light of this new slotted studio Mac Pro, costing as it does some $USD3k more than the same spec Mac Studio, coinciding with the long dark teatime of the soul of having spent almost 8 months trying to chase down random crash on wake issues from an OS install whose user account has been a comfortable home for 10+ years of migration assistant upgrades etc, on a machine that up until then had kernel panicked probably 3 times in 9 years. It's finally come to the point where it crashes during use occasionally, and that will not stand. Trying to set up a fresh user account on a new system is just not going as well as I'd like, as some things are being inconsistent in migrating across.

Sad fact is, too much of my stuff relies on iCloud. I don't want to give up reading list for Mozilla's Pocket, or Notes for some skeevy "wll become a subscription service and spy on your notes" service. I'm only just starting to get Messages in The Cloud working, and iMessage is most people I know - airdrop is something I use multiple times daily. My RSS reader and Mastodon client are both iCloud-centric, and I have a whole bunch of interesting Keyboard Maestro & Hazel workflows.

Here we are as morning daylight peaks again through the shutters and some thoughts occur.

• I don't want my content files on an individual machine - what had previously been multiple dedicated purpose drives, all backed up by Time Machine (and Chronosync) is becoming unwieldy, especially if I had to bring a Windows or Linux machine into the mix for specific tasks, so a NAS is called for - theoretically a Synology will handle all the versioned backups internally, replacing Time Machine for all but the ~/Library folder of my user accounts. It can also potentially take over music and photo management as Apple ruins good apps to replace them with new replacements -> iTunes to Music & Podcasts, Aperture to Photos etc. Synology-centric, with all devices just mounting SMB file volumes to access the same documents would seem to be a pretty good lifeboat.
  • A Mac Studio, topped out with the best processor & 192gb of Ram and a 1tb drive can drive more monitors than my ambitions are likely to need - triple working displays, a Cintiq, and a preview display, and that will cost less than the secondhand prices for 2019 Mac Pros here in Australia, which let's face it, are unlikely to get any new upgrades beyond what they can do now - The Studio can now drive 6 XDRs, as can the 2019 with dual 6800 (duo)s.
  • That same Mac Studio, and (if it turns out it can do the full proper 3D modelling & sculpting VR I want, at a quality & frame rate that doesn't make me literally throw up) a Vision Pro together would cost similar to the AUD$17K I'd been thinking about for a Mac Pro, if it came out as a proper slotted system.
Opencore and Monterey buy a year or two on the cMP, and maybe I shelve ideas of updating anything about it. This feels like a pretty bitter defeat after so many wonderful years of vintage, yet effective computing with this machine, and at least one of the major Apps I use is OpenCL based, and they're not moving to Metal for GPU processing, but that seems the only way forward.

*shrug*

Reactions: Canubis

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Yeah, damn.... Wish I could help you sort out your KP and crashing as I too has having that happen frequently on my 2009 cMP, but I managed to resolve all of it and it was running Monterey on OC beautifully before I took the plunge and upgraded to my 7,1.

Nonetheless, I honestly think you should do a comparison between your 2nd and 3rd options, and putting something like Fedora 37 on your cMP right now, which I think can extend it some, however will bring issues as you are heavily iCloud dependent -- again, really wish I could help you sort out your current cMP issues.

Reactions: mattspace

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Yeah, damn.... Wish I could help you sort out your KP and crashing as I too has having that happen frequently on my 2009 cMP, but I managed to resolve all of it and it was running Monterey on OC beautifully before I took the plunge and upgraded to my 7,1.

Nonetheless, I honestly think you should do a comparison between your 2nd and 3rd options, and putting something like Fedora 37 on your cMP right now, which I think can extend it some, however will bring issues as you are heavily iCloud dependent -- again, really wish I could help you sort out your current cMP issues.

Thanks. As it was coincidental with introducing the new Bluetooth Apple keyboard and trackpad as corded devices, it's mostly been elimination testing on usb devices, removing hubs, removing power boards, but sometimes it's two weeks between crash on wake, sometimes two days - there's so many weirdnesses with it, like I have desklamps that wake up my mouse if you switch them on, presumably some sort of emf thing, but the system's crashed on wake without the mouse or any usb devices plugged in so ???

I expect just reinstalling the OS will solve it, but doing a clean break with a fresh user account is to ensure it's not something added to the OS thats causing it. And that's where little issues sneak in - one clean os install, the App Store didn't report any updates available, not even iTunes or system updates, one user account initiation, messages in the cloud didn't get all my messages, or safari history doesn't sync etc.

I have a PC coming to live here, and it's going to be my linux test machine. I really like KDE's configurability, and Plasma 6 looks to be a nice environment, but without iCloud integration (or a FOSS replacement for it), again ???

Reactions: prefuse07

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
I was toying with the idea of getting an M2 Max Studio, but am considering just splitting use between an Mx mini for general productivity, and a PC for 3D (Maya / Blender / Unreal / 3DCoat etc.) + the odd bit of gaming.

The mini would be useful as the day to day machine, with current macOS support, iPhone connectivity (AirDrop etc.), my Photos library and so on. I prefer macOS in general. OTOH, the PC not only has upgradable Nvidia graphics etc., but not-coincidentally has better 3D feature support (e.g. Arnold GPU rendering in Maya, Nanite and RT in UE).

I could also get a single Ultrawide screen (e.g. a Dell U4919W) to make sharing it easier (has built in KVM / PnP also). Using a Synology to consolidate a bunch of files is also something I've been toying with. A decent desktop PC would also mean I could eliminate the living room PC and just stream games to something very lightweight (don't do much gaming there anyway, but Steam will stream in 4K).

Last edited:

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
having spent almost 8 months trying to chase down random crash on wake issues from an OS install
What OS are you having problems with? High Sierra or Monterey? I had similar issues with earlier builds of Monterey, but all's been good for quite a while now.

I had a USB hub with a card reader in it that was causing crashes on wake (log messages about USB mass storage, and this was the only possible device, even though there was no card in it). Switching to a different hub eliminated that issue, though early Monterey certainly had others. I'm happy it's stable now, and wouldn't upgrade to Ventura on the Mac Pro even if there weren't fundamental AVX incompatibility issues.

Reactions: mattspace

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I was toying with the idea of getting an M2 Max Studio, but am considering just splitting use between an Mx mini for general productivity, and a PC for 3D (Maya / Blender / Unreal / 3DCoat etc.) + the odd bit of gaming.

The mini would be useful as the day to day machine, with current macOS support, iPhone connectivity (AirDrop etc.), my Photos library and so on. I prefer macOS in general. OTOH, the PC not only has upgradable Nvidia graphics etc., but not-coincidentally has better 3D feature support (e.g. Arnold GPU rendering in Maya, Nanite and RT in UE)

I'd had similar ideas, but I just don't want the ram constraint of the current Minis. I'm also wondering about deploying an older Intel Mini as just an iTunes station, whose only purpose is to sync an iPhone for my podcast library etc (the podcasts app doesn't recognise feeds changing host, so a long running show will have several entries for a single show, because it organises by server feed), but there may be better ways around that, like archiving old shows into year-long seasons and making them audio books.

I could also get a single Ultrawide screen (e.g. a Dell U4919W) to make sharing it easier (has built in KVM / PnP also). Using a Synology to consolidate a bunch of files is also something I've been toying with. A decent desktop PC would also mean I could eliminate the living room PC and just stream games to something very lightweight (don't do much gaming there anyway, but Steam will stream in 4K).

I'd thought about the Synology as a replacement for Airdrop - just bouncing everything through a shared folder on it, but that's not a panacea. I will be interested to see how quickly Microsoft does an Xbox app for Apple's headset, to stream from console.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
What OS are you having problems with? High Sierra or Monterey? I had similar issues with earlier builds of Monterey, but all's been good for quite a while now.

High Sierra. It's a long rolling cruft install that's been going for a while.

I had a USB hub with a card reader in it that was causing crashes on wake (log messages about USB mass storage, and this was the only possible device, even though there was no card in it). Switching to a different hub eliminated that issue, though early Monterey certainly had others. I'm happy it's stable now, and wouldn't upgrade to Ventura on the Mac Pro even if there weren't fundamental AVX incompatibility issues.

While the problem seemed to coincide with these new Magic peripherals, it's continued to the point where I've slept the machine with no USB devices plugged in, woken it with the power button, and it's still crashed.

Doing that unplug / sleep / wake / plug routine gets old very fast.

Anyway, Monterey gives us at least another year of security updates.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
The older mini (second hand M1's are pretty cheap) would also be an AirDrop solution.

How come you're still on HS? You're not using an Nvidia card, which I would have thought is the main reason. Could you run HS in a VM if just for a specific piece of software?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
The older mini (second hand M1's are pretty cheap) would also be an AirDrop solution.

How come you're still on HS? You're not using an Nvidia card, which I would have thought is the main reason. Could you run HS in a VM if just for a specific piece of software?

I do a lot of image triaging in Finder with quicklook, and with a multi-display system you can QL an image in a finder window on one screen, move it to another screen, set it to maximise, and then it will zoom to fit. From then on, every image you select will update the QL blacked screen, and stay zoomed to fit.

That behaviour was changed in Mojave onwards, so that subsequent images will revert to their native pixel size if its smaller than the display pixel size.

VM solutions for multiple screens are incredibly hard to find and make work - which I suspect may be a contributor to the problems my system has - parallels and virtualbox installs a while back - they both have access to the usb system to do passthrough.

I also have a lot of my back catalogue of published work in Photoshop / InDesign CS5, so if I find a typo (and years later I still find them), I have to be able to open them, and I'm not going to rent CC for that.

The second of those tasks could be for a vintage Mini, first as well theoretically via a KVM.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Oh yay, so SwitchResX can’t upscale a display past its physical resolution on AS... so add a couple of grand to the deal to replace my two side displays to match the main one, so stuff can match up when spanning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.