Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roguefury

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
[REDACTED]
I just installed iPadOS 16 on my M1 iPad that I have from work. I’m traveling at the moment, but curious…has anyone been able to run an external ultra-wide display with the stage manager? How effective was it in taking advantage of the ultrawide?

mkrizan4

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2016
I just installed iPadOS 16 on my M1 iPad that I have from work. I’m traveling at the moment, but curious…has anyone been able to run an external ultra-wide display with the stage manager? How effective was it in taking advantage of the ultrawide?
I have JUST purchased a new 34' UltraWide monitor from DELL, model S3422DWG.

Stage manager on this monitor is outstanding. Everything works very well and it's really convenient. Just make sure you are connected to the DisplayPort of the monitor in case you want higher resolutions with 120 Hz for example.

If your computer/GPU doesn't have DisplayPort, you can always use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter which I'm currently using on my MBP 2018.

roguefury

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
[REDACTED]
I have JUST purchased a new 34' UltraWide monitor from DELL, model S3422DWG.

Stage manager on this monitor is outstanding. Everything works very well and it's really convenient. Just make sure you are connected to the DisplayPort of the monitor in case you want higher resolutions with 120 Hz for example.

If your computer/GPU doesn't have DisplayPort, you can always use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter which I'm currently using on my MBP 2018.
That’s great news!

Out of curiosity, why did you choose that model? We use ultrawides at work, and I’ve been thinking about getting one for home as well. I want one that I can use with a MacBook Pro as well as the iPad.

EDIT:

Forgot to ask, what about sound. Does the dell have good sound?

mkrizan4

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2016
That’s great news!

Out of curiosity, why did you choose that model? We use ultrawides at work, and I’ve been thinking about getting one for home as well. I want one that I can use with a MacBook Pro as well as the iPad.

EDIT:

Forgot to ask, what about sound. Does the dell have good sound?
I design websites and create graphic content. I was searching for a budget monitor that has an IPS panel along with enough space to work with (hence the 34 inch) but it is impossible to find one for around 500€.

I wouldn’t normally choose a VA panel for design work, but Dell really did a great job on this one. The colours and white balance are a bit off out of the box but can be fixed with calibration and it’s now perfect. It also has “HDR” so that’s a bonus which AOC and Samsung didn’t have for example.

This one doesn’t have speakers but it has an LED that lights up underneath in the middle.

Reactions: roguefury

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
I've also tried my iPad Air with a Dell ultrasharp UltraWide, 34" (model with speakers, curved). It works. It needs a lot of work though ,because apps insist on launching or re-sizing themselves in the 21:9 ratio all the time, which is not the way I like to use an ultrawide monitor. I can resize them manually but seem to be constantly doing so...

Sorryimlate

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2022
London, UK
Works really well on my alienware 34 120hz ultrawide With a USB-C to DP cable. The only thing I wish for is the ability to adjust scaling as I feel the default is a bit too big.

Reactions: roguefury
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.