Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you still using Stage Manager?

• Yes

• No

• Haven't tried it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Machist

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2016
Finland
I have use it all the time after I updated in Ventura.
Today I disable it.

Sometimes it is ok but sometimes you need to do "extra work"..
I ry to like it, but no.. I don't :(

Reactions: sorgo †

kastorff

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2006
There are some graphical artifacts in the Stage Manager region if Better Touch Tool is running on my MacBook Air (Ventura). Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
From October last year:
I turned on Stage Manager...poked around for ±30 seconds...and then turned it off again, in all likelihood for good.

I get that they cater for the iOS/iPadOS to Mac OS converters, but it's just stupid unless you have infinite screen real estate available. With a 13" laptop screen, and Stage Manager taking ±20% of the left side of the screen, there's just too little screen left.

I'm much better off with the Dock, at the right, set to autohide; two Desktops, one for private, one for work apps; and a few Mission Control gestures and hot corners.

I don't really see anything [about Stage Manager] that can add to my Workflow...

I've not thought about Stage Manager, even once, since that, and I have no intention of trying it again in the foreseeable future.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I really wanted to like Stage Manager, but I found I was fighting it a lot.

I've been using Spaces (multiple desktops) for a long time, and usually try to put related things onto their own desktop. This is basically what Stage Manager does, so it should be a pretty analogous tool -- but I still find it kind of jarring when I click on a window and the other window I was using minimizes itself automatically.

producer26

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2016
I tried using it but as another member said before, spaces was much more efficient workflow for me. I also think people who use stage manager and find it helpful , probably never heard of spaces. I have all my apps covering the whole screen and keep switching back and forth using keyboard while at the same time holding items that i need to drop from one app to another. Superfast!

BUT. Whatever suits you should be the best. Try both and keep the one that does the job for you.

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
Apple kept advertising Stage Manager so much, but I genuinely forgot it existed after trying it once. 🙃
Haha same. I was scrolling saw this post and thought "Oh yeah, Stage Manager, that thing I played around with in a VM back in the beta days and then completely forgot about."

Perhaps I'll give it another go. My first impression wasn't great but that was partially due to it being kind of wonky inside the VM.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I tried it when I upgraded to Ventura, then shut it off. After a while, I tried it again and forced myself to use it for a few days. I shut it off again.

As I've said in previous posts about Stage Manager, the problem(s) it's trying to solve simply doesn't exist, at least not on a Mac. And there are just too many trade-offs for me to bother using it.

I suppose it's a nice alternative to Spaces/Mission Control for consumer-level users. But for pro use, it takes up too much screen real estate and breaks some other apps with Finder integration.

Rich B22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
Perhaps if I didn't have multiple monitors I would find it more useful, however, in my setup, just found it to cause confusion. I think this is another example of a solution without a problem (at least for me)

Reactions: macbetta

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Perhaps if I didn't have multiple monitors I would find it more useful, however, in my setup, just found it to cause confusion. I think this is another example of a solution without a problem (at least for me)
As far as I can tell it is much more useful for when you have limited screen real-estate. Even one 24” display makes Stage Manager not useful (to me).

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I use it to have a tidy, efficient desktop.

I've been using multiple displays and Spaces forever.
I swipe between spaces with mostly main apps in fullscreen.
On desktop 1, I've always had Mail, Messages, notes, etc, and I used a little app called Quitter that let me set a time before these apps would auto-hide or quit to keep the desktop tidy.

With Stage Manager, this now works very nicely and I don't need Quitter anymore.
One utility visible at a time.

I set it to:
'Last used' (off), so it auto-hides and doesn't interfere with window positions.
'Show desktop items' (on).

But it surely is in its infancy. Looking forward to more customizability in the future.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I like it for certain workflows, but I don’t use it all the time. I have it mapped to a button on my Stream deck so I can toggle it on and off.

Reactions: Starfia

Sumo999

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2021
With Stage Manger I especially like that I no longer need to struggle with countless buried windows, a pain in the ass I happily leave behind. Stage Manager allows me to do unprecedented things like drag open single documents from different apps to work on at the same time. In my experience, Mac users seem to be highly conservative in their workflow and not readily open to change of any kind. (I even have one client, a 25 year Mac user, who never wrapped his head around browser tabs and insists on starting over from a single new window every time - for him tabs are unnecessary gadgets that break his workflow!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben J.

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
. I have all my apps covering the whole screen and keep switching back and forth using keyboard while at the same time holding items that i need to drop from one app to another. Superfast!

BUT. Whatever suits you should be the best. Try both and keep the one that does the job for you.

Mac noob question. How do you drop items from one space to another? Like not just drop onto the app icon, but into a specific area in the app?

In windows, if you hold an item over the app's icon in the task bar ie dock for a sec, the app will be activated and brought to front. That doesn't seem to work in Mac

macbetta

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2021
I tried it out for a few weeks at launch and just could not get used to it. Granted I've never really taken advantage of spaces either. It was too cumbersome for my muscle memory of how I use a Mac so I turned it off. Despite that, it just seemed unnecessary but I do appreciate the attempt & thought. It was cool to have something new like that to try out but not be forced to use.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Tried again on both my MBP and IPP. Still don't like it. Maybe it's because I'm from the pre-multitasking days.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I use it to have a tidy, efficient desktop.

I've been using multiple displays and Spaces forever.
I swipe between spaces with mostly main apps in fullscreen.
On desktop 1, I've always had Mail, Messages, notes, etc, and I used a little app called Quitter that let me set a time before these apps would auto-hide or quit to keep the desktop tidy.

With Stage Manager, this now works very nicely and I don't need Quitter anymore.
One utility visible at a time.

I set it to:
'Last used' (off), so it auto-hides and doesn't interfere with window positions.
'Show desktop items' (on).

But it surely is in its infancy. Looking forward to more customizability in the future.
I quote myself, and I stand by what I wrote.

But I just found out that macOS has had a built in function called 'single-application mode' since a decade or more, that does much of the same, but without the Stage manager icons menu. It simply sets the OS to hide all other apps when you select a new app from the Dock or option-tab.

Might not suit everybody, but it works for me. I can still have my main apps in full screen in different Spaces and they are unaffected. But on my desktop space, I like that only one app is showing at a time. It's simple and tidy. So, I don't need Stage Manager.

How to enable single-application mode on macOS
In terminal, paste:
defaults write com.apple.dock single-app -bool true; killall Dock
Hit enter.

To disable single-application mode:
Change 'true' to 'false'.

This is a function deep in macOS and is totally harmless to try out.
See if you like it.

(I agree with those who say this should be a one-click option easily available.)

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I like it - I just started using it about 2-3 weeks ago. Having the 5 most recent apps on the side in addition to what I have up works great for me, as I seem to concentrate on a set of apps that may vary over time - but the proper set ends up on the left side as I start into a new process. Dragging one or more apps to the center to work with 2 or 3 at a time works well for me too. It's cleaner than when I always had 12 apps open. Plus, I usually had to use Command-tab to find something because I usually had so many windows open, I can still do that if I need anything other than the "most recent 6" since I am so used to that. The little icons to identify the app are very effective. When I pause work I can click the desktop and everything goes to the left side, leaving a clean desktop - calming. It's simple, but it works well for me!

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I have my Dock on the left side of screen (taking advantage of width over depth and without need of auto-hiding), and with that in place, rather than shifting over thumbnails over a bit to accommodate that, Stage Manager places them on right side, blotting out alias icons I have there. Stage Manager can 'turn off' these shortcuts - but then I lose access to them when using the app. Not helpful. Gave up on the application.

On the plus side, rediscovering the value of Mission Control.

Reactions: auxbuss

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
I'd be interested to see how many of you are continuing to - or have dabbled with - Stage Manager.

I gave it a good go for about the first month after Ventura was released, but in all honesty I found it harder work trying to make it fit into my workflow. Plus it lacks some basic quality of life features.

Would love to hear your thoughts as I have a feeling that it will be left to rot, like Launchpad.
Don't know what it is.
Don't want to know what it is.
Haven't used it.
Not going to use it.

FWIW, those four lines apply to most new "features" Apple puts out. Just not interested in most of the crap it does.

What I WOULD be interested in is it cleaning up the features it already has, and stop doing lame crap that it already does.

Reactions: Alwis

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I have my Dock on the left side of screen (taking advantage of width over depth and without need of auto-hiding), and with that in place, rather than shifting over thumbnails over a bit to accommodate that, Stage Manager places them on right side, blotting out alias icons I have there. Stage Manager can 'turn off' these shortcuts - but then I lose access to them when using the app. Not helpful. Gave up on the application.

On the plus side, rediscovering the value of Mission Control.
Before Stage Manager I never used the Dock auto hide feature. The main reason was that the transition to display the dock was too slow. But it turns out there is a defaults setting that fixes that. Makes a huge difference for me.

defaults write com.apple.dock autohide-time-modifier -int 0;killall Dock

Reactions: Bazza1 and auxbuss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.