Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
So I’m thinking about getting a 2021 ipad pro 12.9.

Some questions, do all apps support stage manager? I have some app that runs vertical only even on ipad. No problem for this?

Also, my monitor is a 4K display. Can you scall the image like on macos? Because native 4k everything is very very small.

Thanks

Reactions: JesusSaves

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Some questions, do all apps support stage manager? I have some app that runs vertical only even on ipad. No problem for this?
Yes, all apps support Stage Manager regardless if they didn’t implement SplitView/SlideOver. And vertical only apps are able to switch to any orientation when using Stage Manager.

Also, my monitor is a 4K display. Can you scall the image like on macos? Because native 4k everything is very very small.

Thanks
Not sure what you mean by scall the image? But if you are referring to resolution settings… there is only two options when using an external 4K monitor “Large Text” and “Default,” unfortunately “More Space” is not an option.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Can you elaborate on « more space » ?

12.9” Default

Viewport Pro 12.9 Default.png

12.9” More Space

Viewport Pro 12.9 More Space.png

Reactions: Dentifrice

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
And it’s not available on external 4k display but it is on the ipad itself?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
And it’s not available on external 4k display but it is on the ipad itself?

Yes, on the iPad itself.

Note that More Space usually makes the fonts smaller. I'm guessing Default or Large Text are probably more comfortable on the external 4K display.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yes, on the iPad itself.

Note that More Space usually makes the fonts smaller. I'm guessing Default or Large Text are probably more comfortable on the external 4K display.
I rather Apple unlock it for 4k displays… Its on “Default” or “Large Text” on 1080p displays as well, as far I know…. “More Space” is only available for 5k+ displays.

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
I rather Apple unlock it for 4k displays… Its on “Default” or “Large Text” on 1080p displays as well, as far I know…. “More Space” is only available for 5k+ displays.
It works on 4k Displays, It works on both my LG Ultra HD 4k and my LG Ultrafine 5k. I think the only prerequisite is a USB C connection, which the LG Ultra HD 4k has. Which is great because it powers the iPad, and has USB type A ports on the back, so the iPad is able to read those. So my 512gb thumb drive and my Logitech receiver for my mouse and keyboard work perfectly with one simple USB C connection. I don't have to switch bluetooth connections with my mouse or keyboard, the USB Logitech connector is picked up perfectly by the iPad Pro. So I can swap out a MacBook Pro or iPad Pro (or Steam Deck!) use one USB C connection and everything is picked up.

Sadly the LG Ultrafine 5k, which Apple partnered with LG on, preforms horribly with the M1 iPad Pro in Stage Manager. It basically breaks Stage Manager to the point that it's unusable. Stage Manager runs on the LG Ultra HD 4k normally, no bugs at all. So I do not recommend the LG Ultrafine, the Ultra HD 4k Model: 27uk670 works great and I would recommend it if you want a 4k monitor for your iPad Pro.

Attachments

• IMG_4929.jpg
    IMG_4929.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: Ludatyk

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
It works over DisplayPort as well (Acer ProArt 27" 1920x1200). Didn't work over its DVI (flicker every few seconds). I like it so much I'm thinking of getting a 4K monitor mostly for this (and to plug an Apple TV into).

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It works on 4k Displays, It works on both my LG Ultra HD 4k and my LG Ultrafine 5k. I think the only prerequisite is a USB C connection, which the LG Ultra HD 4k has.
I have the Samsung M7 Monitor which has USB-C connection and I don’t have the option for “More Space”… perhaps it has something to do with Samsung drivers.

But lately I haven’t been using iPad on an external display since I received a MBP.

Reactions: Jedimindtrick

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
I have the Samsung M7 Monitor which has USB-C connection and I don’t have the option for “More Space”… perhaps it has something to do with Samsung drivers.

But lately I haven’t been using iPad on an external display since I received a MBP.
Nice! Intel or Apple Silicon? If it's an intel, egpu's are a really cool set up. I snagged a razor core X off eBay for cheap, now I boot into Windows if I want to game and I feel like I have the best of both worlds.

That's weird that the Samsung displays won't support it, I wonder if it has something to do with Apple working with LG in recent years with the Ultrafine line.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Nice! Intel or Apple Silicon? If it's an intel, egpu's are a really cool set up. I snagged a razor core X off eBay for cheap, now I boot into Windows if I want to game and I feel like I have the best of both worlds.
Apple Silicon (14" MBP). And I'm not much of a PC gamer... I prefer console.

That's weird that the Samsung displays won't support it, I wonder if it has something to do with Apple working with LG in recent years with the Ultrafine line.
Well, I checked your model from the website which indicates it can support 4K and 5k resolutions, so... just because it technically says it's a 4K display you can output 5k resolutions. Which might explains you get that option for "more space."

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
Apple Silicon (14" MBP). And I'm not much of a PC gamer... I prefer console.

Well, I checked your model from the website which indicates it can support 4K and 5k resolutions, so... just because it technically says it's a 4K display you can output 5k resolutions. Which might explains you get that option for "more space."
It’s not a 5k monitor. You can’t buy a 5k monitor for that price. Click on product specs, you’ll see the max resolution is 3840 x 2160, which is 4k. I think the website is (confusingly) referring to other monitors in their lineup that offer 5k (like the Ultrafine that I have).

Attachments

• 7AACECE2-27C9-4876-8FCF-885A5CB8BDB9.png
    7AACECE2-27C9-4876-8FCF-885A5CB8BDB9.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 60

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It’s not a 5k monitor. You can’t buy a 5k monitor for that price. Click on product specs, you’ll see the max resolution is 3840 x 2160, which is 4k. I think the website is (confusingly) referring to other monitors in their lineup that offer 5k (like the Ultrafine that I have).
Fair enough. Perhaps… it’s something to do with Apple and LG display relationship, since they are the only ones that have 5k displays on the market now.

But what I find odd is… on my MBP, I can plug it via USB-C to the 4k monitor and get an assortment of resolution options whereas on the iPad… nope. Only two.

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
Fair enough. Perhaps… it’s something to do with Apple and LG display relationship, since they are the only ones that have 5k displays on the market now.

But what I find odd is… on my MBP, I can plug it via USB-C to the 4k monitor and get an assortment of resolution options whereas on the iPad… nope. Only two.
I know, just one of those weird decisions Apple has made. Kind of like how my first gen Apple trackpad supports four finger gestures on MacOS, but won’t on iPadOS.

I’m sure they’ll update it in the future. Just like the audio support when plugged into an external monitor. Those are basic features can’t go ignored.

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
FYI I received my ipad pro. I have a Dell 4k monitor and I have the « more space » option available

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.