Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voodoothemailman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
From a few days ago I started getting this warning: "Safari can't verify the identity of the website "stags.bluekai.com" The certificate is invalid. You might be connecting to a website that is pretending..." etc. (screenshot attached). It only happens with certain websites, so far eBay and macrumors have been the worst. I've looked through dozens of google responses to this and none have helped. I have reset Safari, cleared cookies and history completely, tried using Malwarebytes, Avast Security, Macbooster and ScamZapper. I've disabled plug-ins, deleted all extensions and used Keychain First Aid. I have tried going back long before this issued occurred with Time Machine. I have been to the BlueKai site and opted out. This does not happen in other browsers.

I am running OS X 10.9.5, MacBook Pro, Safari 9.1.3.

Plllleeease help me!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 1.59.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 1.59.13 AM.png
    197.8 KB · Views: 451
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 2.11.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 2.11.57 AM.png
    236.7 KB · Views: 368
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 2.12.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 2.12.05 AM.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 357
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 2.12.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 2.12.10 AM.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 325
Reactions: puttputt

TanBrae

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2015
I've been having the same issue. Can't find a solution, so am waiting, waiting, waiting to see one here!

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
count me in... the only thing that seem to work is turning on VPN but only in half of the cases

seems like writing is on the wall for OS X 10.9 as my main system :(

dancks

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2009
I don't mean to be pedantic, but is this a safari only issue or with any browser? have you looked up/tried to update/redownload the certificate store? From what little I read up on this root certificates are kept in the keychain. Have you looked into this? Do the certificates exist/not expired?

TanBrae

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2015
I don't mean to be pedantic, but is this a safari only issue or with any browser? have you looked up/tried to update/redownload the certificate store? From what little I read up on this root certificates are kept in the keychain. Have you looked into this? Do the certificates exist/not expired?
I use Safari 9.1.3 with Mavericks. And, before anybody tells me I need to update OSs, I have left Mavericks on for a good reason. I have several softwares that will not work with High Sierra, and until I get my external set up with Mavericks on it, to run with what I need to run, I'll not upgrade.
That said, it seems like this is an older "issue". I don't if it's a malware, an actual virus, though I doubt that, or some other sort of stinking thing some idiot felt the need to create. But, I had gotten rid of it by using Avast. However, Avast also deleted some files I know were safe when it did its scan, so I uninstalled Avast.
I want to permanently get rid of this thing. Can't really find much about it for Macs, as it seems to be more of an issue for Windows machines.
Oh, I also use DuckDuckGo for my browser. Not that that should make much difference as it seems like most browsers have gotten, or did have an issue with stags.bluekai.

dancks

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2009
duckduckgo is a search engine, not a browser (that I know of) I mean try firefox, chrome, opera.

The fact that you specifically mention Avast security makes me thinks that a root certificate got corrupted/deleted somewhere. I only took a cursory search of how to do this. You may be on your own on this one. Its definitely doable, and you most certainly don't need to upgrade the OS.

This link is specifically about installing a root certificate for a local DNS, but I see some stuff there that might help you:
https://www.digicert.com/ssl-support/p12-import-export-mac-mavericks-server.htm

what I'm talking about specifically:
https://support.dnsimple.com/articles/what-is-ssl-root-certificate/

This looks like a list of certs:
https://certs.godaddy.com/repository

Not sure if this will work with Mavericks but its worth a shot:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH20129?locale=en_US

Just drag and drop a certificate onto the keychain icon.

An administrator account should be all you need for this.

Please update with what you tried. and post back with the results (plus screenshots in case something didn't work).

When I have time I can try to attempt this on my end, see how it works out.

voodoothemailman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
Thank you dancks for helping out here!!! I had forgotten to mention in my original post that yes, I have tried Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Maxthon and Vivaldi. Only Safari has this issue. Unfortunately this 'certificate' stuff is just a little over my head. Could I ask you to dumb down your suggestions a little so I can try it please?

voodoothemailman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
From a friend: "I did a quick search and found this post (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8265712?start=15&tstart=0). Maybe you've already come across it, but the second page offers a couple hopeful possibilities, including the "Disconnect" extension."

I downloaded the 'Disconnect' app (not extension) here: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/48918/disconnect

I installed it and turned 'Blocking' (at the top left) on and it immediately worked and I no longer see the invalid certificate pop up. I hope this works for others too!!!

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Solution:

Click on "Show Certificate"
--> Look for "Trust" --> "When using this certificate"
--> Select "Always trust"

Done.

laracroft10111

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2017
He said: "This does not happen in other browsers. "
And it's happening with THIS website, too!
=====================================

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.