Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I was given a bin of iPhone 5 units to sort through, and one of them stood out to me. It had a screen protector that looked really warped, and when I peeled it off it left behind a bunch of stains/scratches on the glass. It peeled off without any sensation of it being stuck to the glass. Anyone know what's up with this? IMG_0182.JPG

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Some screen protectors remove very easily while other you have to put forth more effort.

As far as the existing scratches, that is likely why the owner put a screen protector on, to hide them.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Some screen protectors remove very easily while other you have to put forth more effort.

As far as the existing scratches, that is likely why the owner put a screen protector on, to hide them.
I don't believe that the dots on the display are natural, nor the faded look. I've never seen scratches like this occur naturally. I don't even think scratch is the correct word to use for this.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I don't believe that the dots on the display are natural, nor the faded look. I've never seen scratches like this occur naturally. I don't even think scratch is the correct word to use for this.

I agree that it is not natural but not much can be done at this point!

Just put another screen protector on it and move on.

Looks like someone used something that was harmful to the screen to clean their screen protector.

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I'm probably just going to throw away the screen and the back plate, since both seem pretty messed up. Looks like the battery has expanded too. I might just sell the board online and be done with it. Onto the next iPhone 5... Maybe some of these are worth a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.