Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
I am a bit of a Lithium battery expert. For example I was able to pull of close to 1200 charge Cycles to my 14 Max Pro and still show 100% and sell it for a pretty penny pre my iPhone 15 PM. This is a simplified look at degradation of lithium based on charging.

Several items effect Lithium longevity:
1. Heat: extended heat can degrade the battery to .125 per full charge. Heat can at the molecular level causes degradation too fast.
2. Quantity of charges at 100%. The generalized theory is 800 charging sessions is the number that degrades the limit. Obviously heat can effect/accelerate this degradation.

1. So how did I achieve 100% battery health with approximately 1200 100% charge cycles with my 14 PM? Controlling heat.
2. NEVER did overnight charging though Apple has an algorithm to regulate charging to delay top off until it until determine departure time.
3. I have a 30 minute commute each day. My 14PM would be placed on the MagSafe charge connected to a AC adapter running 2.1 amps. for a minimum 1 hour per day. And every trip whether lunch or a visit to a customer the PM14 was on the MagSafe Charger. Got home and never charged again. Were there extremely rare occasion of charging a rate higher than 2.1amp yes once our twice a month I hooked up to a Anker 20amp for 10-15 minutes for a quick bump.

With higher end Lithium Charging the controller regulates enabling cells to set the State of Charge. The controller may charge cells 1,42,71,307, 400 next time 2,4,618,700 etc the goal to avoid charing in zones to reduce heat. When fast charging more cells are being charged so the charging cells are going to be more dense and the heats increases by proximity. That is where only charging to 80% using controllers helps. 80% State of Charge is based in ZERO (not really) lithium degradation.The fact is degradation is based on increased heat. HEAT destroys Lithium ION.

So if you have made it this far here is my question/point to be determined.

I like the concept of Standby Mode. I wish is was MagSafe attached activated. Unfortunately it is POWERED MagSafe to activate.

1. There is a fine balance of what the inbound power requirement to offset the display and power consumption and input power.
2. What is the true Power Required to activate the feature.

I plan to do some testing next week and here is my hope.
Using with a 2.1amp feed or a 5amp will cover the draw and activate the Standby Mode. If you are forced to 7.5amps to 15amps then you are increasing the degradation exponentially. I plan to report back here some.

Rant:
One day we will have a real effective Fuel and Storage facility. Nicad is less efficient than Nickel Metal Hydride which less efficient than Lithium Ion. Our next small electronic fuels are being tested and will be huge jumps. Unfortunately the move from Lithium will be slow that industry is poising itself to be cartelish just like oil. Hydrogen is looking very positive but posing a threat to Big Oil and now Big Lithium and Cobalt. No Corporation or Government wants to create a method for free (or close to) fuel, the economic impact is scary.

Just a late night Ramble

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
I think you meant 1200 charge sessions, not cycles which I take it to mean a full 3200 4,323 mah of charging. That’s more than 3 entire phone charges a day spread out over a year, which is very excessive.

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
I think you meant 1200 charge sessions, not cycles which I take it to mean a full 3200 4,323 mah of charging. That’s more than 3 entire phone charges a day spread out over a year, which is very excessive.
You are correct Apple does report 1200 Cycles. I am from the Heavy Battery industry we base 800 for Quality Control testing.

SFMarc

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023
I am a bit of a Lithium battery expert. For example I was able to pull of close to 1200 charge Cycles to my 14 Max Pro and still show 100% and sell it for a pretty penny pre my iPhone 15 PM. This is a simplified look at degradation of lithium based on charging.

Several items effect Lithium longevity:
1. Heat: extended heat can degrade the battery to .125 per full charge. Heat can at the molecular level causes degradation too fast.
2. Quantity of charges at 100%. The generalized theory is 800 charging sessions is the number that degrades the limit. Obviously heat can effect/accelerate this degradation.

1. So how did I achieve 100% battery health with approximately 1200 100% charge cycles with my 14 PM? Controlling heat.
2. NEVER did overnight charging though Apple has an algorithm to regulate charging to delay top off until it until determine departure time.
3. I have a 30 minute commute each day. My 14PM would be placed on the MagSafe charge connected to a AC adapter running 2.1 amps. for a minimum 1 hour per day. And every trip whether lunch or a visit to a customer the PM14 was on the MagSafe Charger. Got home and never charged again. Were there extremely rare occasion of charging a rate higher than 2.1amp yes once our twice a month I hooked up to a Anker 20amp for 10-15 minutes for a quick bump.

With higher end Lithium Charging the controller regulates enabling cells to set the State of Charge. The controller may charge cells 1,42,71,307, 400 next time 2,4,618,700 etc the goal to avoid charing in zones to reduce heat. When fast charging more cells are being charged so the charging cells are going to be more dense and the heats increases by proximity. That is where only charging to 80% using controllers helps. 80% State of Charge is based in ZERO (not really) lithium degradation.The fact is degradation is based on increased heat. HEAT destroys Lithium ION.

So if you have made it this far here is my question/point to be determined.

I like the concept of Standby Mode. I wish is was MagSafe attached activated. Unfortunately it is POWERED MagSafe to activate.

1. There is a fine balance of what the inbound power requirement to offset the display and power consumption and input power.
2. What is the true Power Required to activate the feature.

I plan to do some testing next week and here is my hope.
Using with a 2.1amp feed or a 5amp will cover the draw and activate the Standby Mode. If you are forced to 7.5amps to 15amps then you are increasing the degradation exponentially. I plan to report back here some.

Rant:
One day we will have a real effective Fuel and Storage facility. Nicad is less efficient than Nickel Metal Hydride which less efficient than Lithium Ion. Our next small electronic fuels are being tested and will be huge jumps. Unfortunately the move from Lithium will be slow that industry is poising itself to be cartelish just like oil. Hydrogen is looking very positive but posing a threat to Big Oil and now Big Lithium and Cobalt. No Corporation or Government wants to create a method for free (or close to) fuel, the economic impact is scary.

Just a late night Ramble

Are there any specific slow MagSafe charging stands that you'd recommend for using StandBy Mode?

Also, are there any battery degradation issues with fast charging at full speed if the phone remains cool?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Thanks for sharing. Stand by in new. Inevitably we will be able to activate it on for the Lock Screen for use in landscape or portrait mode, whether we are charging or not.

Reactions: earthdog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.