Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
That makes sense from a reality perspective. But from a TV show perspective, it was more simple. I think they said that Picard was seen as the older statesman and they wanted a younger handsome action hero type doing the fighting.

Sort of like how they brought 7 of 9 to Voyager to be the hot chick and bump up ratings. It worked. Riker was the dude version of that.

I think we do so much analysis of these shows, we tend to forget its still entertainment and often they do stuff to get ratings.
Yep excellent point. I guess Jeri Ryan is rather pretty now that you mention it 🤭

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Yeah, but they underestimated her character - and the actress. She really put in solid work, despite the obvious attempts to sexualize her.

You can also say the same thing about Blalock. I'm glad the actresses themselves turned those characters into amazing characters because it would suck if the only reason to remember either 7 or T'Pol was sex appeal.

Reactions: Rafterman

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
You can also say the same thing about Blalock. I'm glad the actresses themselves turned those characters into amazing characters because it would suck if the only reason to remember either 7 or T'Pol was sex appeal.

Troy too. They put her in a low cut suit under the guise that as ship's counselor, she would appear more approachable. It was only later that they put her in a Starfleet uniform and gave her more professional duties. Thanks, Captain Jellico :)

Reactions: fatTribble

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Age (and experiences) change one's perspective. Characters need to grow. No one stays the same for decades.
Well yes. For someone to change so dramatically, it usually something monumental that cause them to re-evaluate their values. A bit of backstory would help the audience accept the 180 turn.

TNG Worf and DS9 Worf are, at most, 1 year apart. Since they didn't offer any reason for Worf's change, I came up with my own reconcile the difference. During his final year of service onboard Enterprise-D, Worf jumped between alternate universes (TNG: Parallel). Our Worf lived out his life in a different timeline.😲 I'm rooting for the one where he married Deanna.🤗 I think, DS9 Worf was the one who got ninth place in the Bat'leth tournament.🤔 Honor didn't keep his opponent from cheating, nor kept the judges from disqualifying the cheater. Thus, in Worf's eyes, Klingon honor lost the value it once possessed.🤫
IMO, they had a harder task than the rest of the actors due to their duo role of bridge bunnies and outside observer. The were our source of viewing the human crew from a non-human perspective, like Spock, Data and Odo before them. And the Doctor, before Seven supplanted that role. For me, the best part of Voyager was the interaction between the Doctor and Seven.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Heck, Kirk's usual modus operandi was to transport to a planet, declare their existing society to be dumb, blow-up said society, and then transport off the planet and on to the next. :D

I thought his normal modus operandi was to:
  1. transport to some planet,
  2. act like wild cowboy,
  3. bonk something resembling their female species (doubly so if the female was a different color),
  4. transport back to the Enterprise, and
  5. ride off to the next planet.
Wash/rinse/repeat. 😁

BL.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Well yes. For someone to change so dramatically, it usually something monumental that cause them to re-evaluate their values. A bit of backstory would help the audience accept the 180 turn.

TNG Worf and DS9 Worf are, at most, 1 year apart. Since they didn't offer any reason for Worf's change, I came up with my own reconcile the difference. During his final year of service onboard Enterprise-D, Worf jumped between alternate universes (TNG: Parallel). Our Worf lived out his life in a different timeline.😲 I'm rooting for the one where he married Deanna.🤗 I think, DS9 Worf was the one who got ninth place in the Bat'leth tournament.🤔 Honor didn't keep his opponent from cheating, nor kept the judges from disqualifying the cheater. Thus, in Worf's eyes, Klingon honor lost the value it once possessed.🤫

IMO, they had a harder task than the rest of the actors due to their duo role of bridge bunnies and outside observer. The were our source of viewing the human crew from a non-human perspective, like Spock, Data and Odo before them. And the Doctor, before Seven supplanted that role. For me, the best part of Voyager was the interaction between the Doctor and Seven.

Unfortunately, this couldn't have happened. Keep in mind that during that year, the Enterprise was destroyed (ST: Generations). That left him without a ship to serve on, so he had taken a sabbatical, and was contemplating leaving Starfleet altogether. So he was already without a ship to serve on while the Enterprise-E was being built at Utopia Planetia. In fact, all of the Enterprise crew were without a ship to serve on. It just so happened to be that Sisko got to him before Picard did, and offered him the position at DS9.

The funny part was seeing how the chemistry between Odo and Worf would work, since Worf would have taken to his natural machinations as chief of security, which was the position Odo had.

Besides, even if all of that didn't work out, at least Worf could have found a job on DS9 being a doula for Keiko. ;)

BL.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I thought his normal modus operandi was to:
  1. transport to some planet,
  2. act like wild cowboy,
  3. bonk something resembling their female species (doubly so if the female was a different color),
  4. transport back to the Enterprise, and
  5. ride off to the next planet.
Wash/rinse/repeat. 😁

BL.

Just out of curiosity, where would one apply for that particular position?

• Haha
Reactions: BigMcGuire

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
Plus, a Russian guy on the bridge at the height of the US-USSR Cold War.

In the Mad Men episode "The Chrysanthemum and the Sword", Roger Sterling doesn't like the Japanese businessmen because he served in the Navy during WWII. Yet he has no problem being around Germans and Italians. Why is that? It's similar to today's climate where China, North Korea and Russia are allies and support each other's actions. When China and North Korea threaten other countries, people in the US complain that they must be stopped. But when Russia does the same thing, the people who complain the most about China and North Korea say nothing, while some go so far as to support Russia. Why is that?

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
In the Mad Men episode "The Chrysanthemum and the Sword", Roger Sterling doesn't like the Japanese businessmen because he served in the Navy during WWII. Yet he has no problems being around Germans and Italians. It's similar to today's climate where China, North Korea and Russia are allies and support each other's actions. When China and North Korea threaten other countries, people in the US complain that they must be stopped. But when Russia does the same thing, the same people who denounce China and North Korea say nothing, while some go so far as to support Russia's invasion efforts. Why is that?
Not my experience, a lot of US folks are complaining about Russia too but I suggest stopping here as this will get political.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
For those w/Rokus in the US (I have a Roku Ultra) or who can access the Roku Channel, I recently discovered all the eps are there and there's an 11th ep of a 10 ep show.

https://www.tivocommunity.com/threa...trek-all-episodes.585455/page-2#post-12750303 pointed said:
"That list on iMDb has "Whales, God and Pepto Bismol" wedged in as the 5th but it was not part of the original run, and it lists the air date as the same as the last ones before the cut-off. It never did reappear on broadcast, and it's not on the History website as an archive, not even the first four. "

He's referring to the ep list at https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15766736/episodes?ref_=tt_eps_sm.

I got partway thru "ep 11": "The Stars Above" and I feel like I've watched it before. I started on "ep 5": "Whales, God and Pepto Bismol" and it seems like it's not something I've watched before.
Someone else pointed out to me that it's included with Amazon Prime video in the US: https://www.amazon.com/Queue-for-Q/dp/B09SL44NBM/. I don't subscribe so it doesn't help me.

I did finish ep 5 and it focused on Star Trek IV, V and VI.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
The funny part was seeing how the chemistry between Odo and Worf would work, since Worf would have taken to his natural machinations as chief of security, which was the position Odo had.
There's an episode (DS9: Bar Association) where Odo and Worf butt heads over security issues on the station. Odo knew Worf would rain hellfire down on what he thinks is lax security on DS9 so the Constable came prepared.😁 The look he gave (the 0:09 mark) speaks volumes. He's been waiting for this since Worf stepped on board the station.🤭

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Star Trek connections with Shawshank Redemption

Attachments

• IMG_3854.JPG
    IMG_3854.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: BigMcGuire

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Star Trek connections with Shawshank Redemption

I was thinking similar, but with a different show altogether: Knight Rider.

The alum/roster:

Patricia MacPherson. Bonnie on Knight Rider, Beatta in TNG episode Angel One.
Marc Alaimo. Various bad guys on Knight Rider; a Romulan in TNG episode The Neutral Zone, and Gul Dukat.
Robert O'Reilly. Various bad guys on Knight Rider; Gowron in TNG and DS9.
Allen Oppenheimer. Secondary role in a couple of episodes of Knight Rider; played a Starfleet Admiral in TNG.
Peter Parros. RC3 in Knight Rider; security guard in TNG.
Peter Mark Richman. Klaus Bergstrom in Knight Rider; Ralph Offenhaus in TNG episode The Neutral Zone.
William Daniels. Voice of KITT. Played the Allocator in the VOY episode Critical Care.

And going the opposite way:

James Doohan. Played himself in Knight Rider 2000.

BL.

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
To me, wokism is just accepting people. If someone's gay, or wants to be called they or them or whatever, why hassle them about it? If Target wants to have one row of LGBT stuff, so what? Doesn't affect my life. None of my business.

Too many people into other peoples' business.

I generally agree. But I’m old enough to remember when that was just called “live and let live.” Whatever it’s called these days, it’s still a rule I live by. I just don’t feel the need to wear it like a badge of honor. Solar Punk very much incorporates these things, but presents it as just being human.

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
See, there are a lot of people who say the opposite - NuTrek is too "woke" (not realizing that ST has always been "woke"). And sometimes, you don't seek out enemies, enemies seek out you. The Romulans and early Klingons certainly didn't want peace or co-existence.

Conflict (pew-pew) is what drives TV shows. It would get boring if everyone got along and kissed each others' butts all the time.

Idk, I always appreciated the creative ways writers followed the Roddenberry rule. You ended up with stories that showed future humans being moral, ethical, and just juxtaposed against other humanoid civilizations who weren’t there yet. When people see humans at their best, it gives them a vision of a future that people can identify with. I remember reading once that we may never achieve utopia, but offering visions of utopia gives us something to strive for.

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
Agreed.

Season One of TNG is considered by most as overall being very boring and a fair part of that is said to be because Gene mandated that there would be no interpersonal conflicts amongst the crew. Season Two relaxed this mandate a bit, but it really did not get kicked to the curb until Season Three, which is when the general consensus is the show "became good". :)

Other than the cringy episode “Code of Honor” and cheesy music, I actually liked season 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.