Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I’ll assume that was the pilot. I’m used to these uniforms: :)

View attachment 917330
Is Leonard Nomoy wearing a wig?

View attachment 917334
Maybe not.

No, that's later. The pilot "The Cage" was with Captain Christopher Pike. It later became "The Menagerie" when Star Trek was eventually picked up and they needed something to fill up the season.

Here are examples of the officers uniforms, crewmen and outdoor gear. The daily uniforms are similar but different. Sort of like TNG to later DS9 diferences. It just seems appropriate that if the Captain is Pike. They'd wear Pike era uniforms.

Cage2.png Star Trek The Original Series The Cage video phone.jpg star-trek-the-cage.png star-trek-tos-cage-number-one.jpg st-cage11.jpg

Reactions: Huntn

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
No, that's later. The pilot "The Cage" was with Captain Christopher Pike. It later became "The Menagerie" when Star Trek was eventually picked up and they needed something to fill up the season.

Here are examples of the officers uniforms, crewmen and outdoor gear. The daily uniforms are similar but different. Sort of like TNG to later DS9 diferences. It just seems appropriate that if the Captain is Pike. They'd wear Pike era uniforms.

View attachment 917421 View attachment 917422 View attachment 917423 View attachment 917424 View attachment 917425

Actually, the pilot bridge looks more advanced and real than TOS one was.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
So far I have enjoyed these CBS ST shows. I look forward to what they do with the Pike / Spock show. Since the movies with the other timeline is down the toilet, some of us can get our S.T. fix with these shows and they have a bit more raw and gritty facet to them which I appreciate.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

View attachment 917421 View attachment 917422 View attachment 917423 View attachment 917424 View attachment 917425
So the image in post 3 is not from the pilot?

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
3. The inner 14-year-olds within those same 50-somethings who remember the original through misty rose-tinted viewscreens and basically want to be able to watch the original for the first time - again.
By original, you mean original original, right? Han shot first and all that. Sure the fancy new FX is nice and all, but changing the story line.:mad: Blasphemy.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

Yes - it was from the first pilot - The Cage - which was rejected and never aired during the original run.

Then, later, they made a two-parter The Menagerie which re-used most of The Cage as "flashbacks" (well, spoilers...) interspersed with a "new" framing story involving the familiar crew having a run-in with former Capt. Pike.

A true fan will tell you whether that particular image featured in The Menagerie...

Then, just to really confuse things ST:Discovery also did a crossover episode with flashbacks to The Cage...

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes - it was from the first pilot - The Cage - which was rejected and never aired during the original run.

Then, later, they made a two-parter The Menagerie which re-used most of The Cage as "flashbacks" (well, spoilers...) interspersed with a "new" framing story involving the familiar crew having a run-in with former Capt. Pike.

A true fan will tell you whether that particular image featured in The Menagerie...

Then, just to really confuse things ST:Discovery also did a crossover episode with flashbacks to The Cage...
Just for the record, I know all of that and mentioned “the pilot” because that’s what I thought it was. :)

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
I am hoping this might actually be Star Trek. Not STD with its sinfully boring main cast bar one and a bit more than Picard which has been one episode spread over 10, as much as I enjoyed that episode.

Reactions: velocityg4

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I am hoping this might actually be Star Trek. Not STD with its sinfully boring main cast bar one and a bit more than Picard which has been one episode spread over 10, as much as I enjoyed that episode.
Reportedly it will be episodic and “uplifting” like traditional Star Trek.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

I didn't notice the post you were referring to. For some reason I thought you were asking if Kirk's uniform was what I was referring to. Now that I paid more attention. My post wasn't necessary. At least it gives other's an idea of the range of uniforms in the pilot episode.

Reportedly it will be episodic and “uplifting” like traditional Star Trek.

That's certainly what I want. A Star Trek universe where they have interesting encounters in space, Earth is a utopia and mankind has moved past it's issues. Instead facing intellectual, philosophical and adversarial encounters. With the occasional humorous story. An interesting cast of characters. With no season long story arcs.

Just scratch the surface of their personal lives.

Also no romantic entanglements between main cast crew members. That just leads to too much bad writing. As they need to shoehorn in drama. Since there is no way a writer could ever live with. They're married and get along well. Troy and Worf, Crusher and Picard, Dax and Worf, Odo and Kira, Tucker and T'Pol, &c were cringeworthy Trek writing. It works out well enough if one of the members is not regular cast like Keiko or Vedic Bareil.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Oct 2023-I finally got around to starting this. Thumbs up! I like Anson Mount as Pike, Ethan Peck as Spock, Babs Olusanmokun, as the doctor, Rebecca Romijn (X-Men: Mistique) as number 1. In some ways Anson Mount is the better Kirk, just an opinion. :)

Although as of now, it can’t replace Next Gen, it is worthy and may grow on me more. :D

IMG_3047.jpeg

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Oct 2023-I finally got around to starting this. Thumbs up! I like Anson Mount as Pike, Ethan Peck as Spock, Babs Olusanmokun, as the doctor, Rebecca Romijn (X-Men: Mistique) as number 1. In some ways Anson Mount is the better Kirk, just an opinion. :)

Although as of now, it can’t replace Next Gen, it is worthy and may grow on me more. :D

Had all the making to be most excellent yet they slide a little into the Discovery muck.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Had all the making to be most excellent yet they slide a little into the Discovery muck.

It is most excellent.

The Pike pilot from 1966 should have been what TOS was - a much more realistic view of the future. No ridiculous mini skirts, women on equal footing with men.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
My wife and I LOVE Strange New Worlds! It's one of the few things from Discovery that we both liked. The cast is great. The effects are A+. The story (so far) is really good. But one of the things I like most about SNW is how un-serious it takes itself sometimes. Sure, there are plenty of serious moments throughout the season when the story calls for it. But there are also times when it is absolutely bonkers and they are able to laugh at themselves. For example, the SNW/Lower Decks crossover episode had me ROLLING the entire time! Absolutely hysterically funny. But there are also episodes, such as the full-on musical, where I'm like "Ehh...could have done without it".

I'm excited to see what they do with season 3 now that the actors and writers strikes are over.

Reactions: phrehdd

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
My wife and I LOVE Strange New Worlds! It's one of the few things from Discovery that we both liked. The cast is great. The effects are A+. The story (so far) is really good. But one of the things I like most about SNW is how un-serious it takes itself sometimes. Sure, there are plenty of serious moments throughout the season when the story calls for it. But there are also times when it is absolutely bonkers and they are able to laugh at themselves. For example, the SNW/Lower Decks crossover episode had me ROLLING the entire time! Absolutely hysterically funny. But there are also episodes, such as the full-on musical, where I'm like "Ehh...could have done without it".

I'm excited to see what they do with season 3 now that the actors and writers strikes are over.
Seems like something for everyone and yet (like Apple) some disappointments or "eh" items slip in.

I was not a fan of the musical nor the lower decks episode. STNG gave us Barclay who undid the notion that only the top caliber may become Federation and serve on ships. Get to Voyager and we see it in full bloom with the real lower decks folks seems to have bloomed. While it is not for me, glad others enjoy it.

yankees992013

Suspended
Dec 5, 2023
I didn't notice the post you were referring to. For some reason I thought you were asking if Kirk's uniform was what I was referring to. Now that I paid more attention. My post wasn't necessary. At least it gives other's an idea of the range of uniforms in the pilot episode.

That's certainly what I want. A Star Trek universe where they have interesting encounters in space, Earth is a utopia and mankind has moved past it's issues. Instead facing intellectual, philosophical and adversarial encounters. With the occasional humorous story. An interesting cast of characters. With no season long story arcs.

Just scratch the surface of their personal lives.

Also no romantic entanglements between main cast crew members. That just leads to too much bad writing. As they need to shoehorn in drama. Since there is no way a writer could ever live with. They're married and get along well. Troy and Worf, Crusher and Picard, Dax and Worf, Odo and Kira, Tucker and T'Pol, &c were cringeworthy Trek writing. It works out well enough if one of the members is not regular cast like Keiko or Vedic Bareil.
For romantic entanglements, there were in Star trek Discovery and Strange Worlds but not the same as original. Think of 2 men kissing, and lesbian relationship.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ref- Star Trek SNW. I started this series, said some good things about it, got distracted, set it aside, just restarted it, and now I’m mostly blah about it. Maybe, I’ve ventured beyond this franchise and formula, although Anson Mount by my appraisel should be a home run… 🤔

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Ref- Star Trek SNW. I started this series, said some good things about it, got distracted, set it aside, just restarted it, and now I’m mostly blah about it. Maybe, I’ve ventured beyond this franchise and formula, although Anson Mount by my appraisel should be a home run… 🤔
I can appreciate your "blah" as you say about this show. I find things I like and some things that irk me at some level. This and Discovery gave me all new respect for "Enterprise."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.