Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Anyone playing this? It's on sale at Steam until 3/23/20, 35% off. It's getting great reviews, but I'm not sure about it.

Here's a review: https://www.polygon.com/reviews/201...wars-jedi-fallen-order-review-ps4-xbox-one-pc

960x0.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hmmm, being that its discounted, and I'm largely stuck at home - I might take the plunge.

Reactions: Huntn

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I personally found it not much fun. It might be a good fit if you like the newer Tomb Raider games and games like Dark Souls (as in, a more open environment in which fights need a bit more strategy and precision; though the game is not as though). I expected something more like God of War (the most recent one), but the story in this game is far too superficial. There is also too much backtracking for my taste (you revisit worlds and new paths open somewhere as you gain more powers or the story progresses).

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
My basic thoughts (played through twice, bought day of release):
- Best lightsaber combat since Jedi Academy (alas, the 17 year old game still offers better combat)
- Really well done story
- INCREDIBLY 'game-y' ... you will never forget you are in a video game
- Never get the typical EA 'here is where we try to sell you stuff feeling
- Definitely still get that 'designed by committee' feeling - 'how about a little bit of game X here?'
- In particular, you can say it feels like Tomb Raider mixed with Dark Souls with a Star Wars label slapped on it and not be too far off.
- That said, the Star Wars integration goes significantly deeper (certainly better than IMO Fallout 3 aka Oblivion with guns) - but if someone told the team at the half-way point in development it was going to be a Star Trek game they could have done it easily enough without compromising the release date.
- Repetition and relative same-ness will either kill the game or be a minor annoyance depending on how much you like the Tomb Raider / Dark Souls pedigree.
- I ended up buying a XBOX One controller for it ... and though I am a keyboard & mouse guy through and through that became a better way to play.

Overall a solid fun game - I would rate it a 7/10 (or a 8/10 for the Star Wars tilt since I am biased in that direction) ... glad I played it, try not to think that I paid $60 ... and think for $30 it is not a bad game to play.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My basic thoughts (played through twice, bought day of release):
- Best lightsaber combat since Jedi Academy (alas, the 17 year old game still offers better combat)
- Really well done story
- INCREDIBLY 'game-y' ... you will never forget you are in a video game
- Never get the typical EA 'here is where we try to sell you stuff feeling
- Definitely still get that 'designed by committee' feeling - 'how about a little bit of game X here?'
- In particular, you can say it feels like Tomb Raider mixed with Dark Souls with a Star Wars label slapped on it and not be too far off.
- That said, the Star Wars integration goes significantly deeper (certainly better than IMO Fallout 3 aka Oblivion with guns) - but if someone told the team at the half-way point in development it was going to be a Star Trek game they could have done it easily enough without compromising the release date.
- Repetition and relative same-ness will either kill the game or be a minor annoyance depending on how much you like the Tomb Raider / Dark Souls pedigree.
- I ended up buying a XBOX One controller for it ... and though I am a keyboard & mouse guy through and through that became a better way to play.

Overall a solid fun game - I would rate it a 7/10 (or a 8/10 for the Star Wars tilt since I am biased in that direction) ... glad I played it, try not to think that I paid $60 ... and think for $30 it is not a bad game to play.
I’ve been shying away from $60 games, too much exposure to early access games. ;) But I might have paid that for Fallout 4. Well worth it in that case. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: txa1265

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I’ve been shying away from $60 games, too UHC exposure to early access games. ;) But I might have paid that for Fallout 4. Well worth it in that case. :)

Yeah, I complain about the Bethsoft pseudo-Fallout games, but have certainly gotten my money's worth (full price on 3, NV and 4). But my gaming time has decreased and I am quite content replaying old faves, so snapping up the new shiny game (like DOOM Eternal) is no longer a priority. I even waited for 50% off Outer Worlds despite it being a RPG and from one of my fave developers. But when it comes to Switch I will just buy it (reward companies doing PC-like ports to Switch)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah, I complain about the Bethsoft pseudo-Fallout games, but have certainly gotten my money's worth (full price on 3, NV and 4). But my gaming time has decreased and I am quite content replaying old faves, so snapping up the new shiny game (like DOOM Eternal) is no longer a priority. I even waited for 50% off Outer Worlds despite it being a RPG and from one of my fave developers. But when it comes to Switch I will just buy it (reward companies doing PC-like ports to Switch)
That was a typo in my reply, UHC should have been much.

Reactions: txa1265
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.