Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
I'd argue having a broken game at launch and a patched version a few months or year later is better than no game. Even broken games can be fun, I had a good time with Pokemon Scarlet at launch despite it being a mess and on PC technical problems can often be overcome by just waiting and then playing it with new hardware down the line, not ideal but it works.

It's a pretty accepted meme at this point that games launch pretty broken and UE4 games are a mess. I don't think people care as much about "day and date" releases as you seem to think either, but they also don't want a guessing as to when or if a game is coming to their preferred platform regardless of state.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I don't think people care as much about "day and date" releases as you seem to think either, but they also don't want a guessing as to when or if a game is coming to their preferred platform regardless of state.
I think that depends. A lot of what we've seen happening when it comes to Mac gaming was political. And that didn't really start with gaming, it started much, much earlier. When Apple started shopping around for a new show-off-prestige project in the gaming world, many rejected their offer. Capcom with RE jumped on board and signed a contract (they actually approached Apple for mobile games issues they had), which they're still bound to. But when you have a game like RE4 remake run on macOS (yes it does), but it's not shipped, that raises a few eyebrows.

Others make it more clear and either announce Mac support or simply say it's not happening (Apple could still buy a studio though).
It’s interesting to me that a nearly year old thread started with optimism surrounding Mac gaming has primarily transitioned to one lamenting the state of AAA games in general (few of which have anything to do with Macs.)
It's even more interesting, because we've been told this is not a PC gaming forum by the same people, despite the name of the subform. ;)
I’d wager some folks in this thread feel the same way, hence the recent sour grapes posts (“I’d rather have no games than those broken blockbusters”)
Someone hit the jackpot. ;)

For those of you who were optimistic 11 months ago, how has your perspective shifted? Do you feel more or less hopeful about games on Mac?
I've been using and developing for Macs for decades. We were told "something is going to happen very soon" back in the 80s, in the 90s, in the 2000s and 2010s and now again. Somehow this comes to mind...
20150621-Groundhog-day.jpg

I have also always owned other systems for gaming in addition to my Macs, from the C64, Amiga to PCs (DOS, Windows, Linux) and consoles starting with the Atari VCS, Nintendo and Sega, not so popular ones like Neo Geo and PC Engine (no, it's not a PC) and later on Sony and Microsoft and a few others along the way. I just buy whatever system I need to play a game I'm interested in. So if a game comes to Mac, great, if it doesn't that's ok too. I'll just go somewhere else to play it. I'm not getting excited about stuff I've heard countless times before, only to see that bubble burst.

Last edited:

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
I'd argue having a broken game at launch and a patched version a few months or year later is better than no game. Even broken games can be fun.

I don't think people care as much about "day and date" releases as you seem to think either.

Well, that’s one of my points. I’m not the one thinking it’s important. I have always said that's one benefit of gaming on Mac. By the time the games are ported and released later the initial problems usually have been solved. As a Mac gamer I'm used to waiting so I haven't cared much about day-and-date releases, but that has been one of the main reasons why Mac gaming "sucks" according to people around here. In those discussions they list all the upcoming PC games and brag about the day-and-date releases when as you say in reality many times they have to wait months or a year until the games get patched up properly. Suddenly day-and date releases are not important and they don’t mind waiting a long time. So I’m not the one thinking it’s important, the PC gamers are the ones saying that whenever it suits them. 🤷‍♂️

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yes, I mean general performance. Running into bugs unfortunately happens with many games. I get the same issues with PoE and Diablo 3 on the Mac. And also have the problem occasionally with CS:GO in Windows. As long as it's a quick restart of the game, it's annoying, but I can live with it. PoE (which I probably play more than any other games) keeps freezing for a few seconds and crashes sometimes on the Mac, which is annoying when I only want to quickly play a map or two. I usually don't boot the PC then. Gave up hope after a few years. 🤷‍♂️
I am pretty sure my performance issues are cause I am running out of VRAM.
IMG_0260.jpeg

I’ve seen it hit 97% while the stuttering happens.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden

Yes, "nasty memory leak problem" that even eats into storage space and "sky-high VRAM usage" up to 21GB on the highest settings have been reported so try lower your settings. I guess that would be a benefit of having unified memory if the game was ported to Mac. You could have 32 GB for both games and other application.

With that said I suggest furthur discussions about Jedi Survivor and its PC performance continue in its own thread unless the posts have a Mac connection. There is no such thread so it's a good time to start one. I think we've had enough of that discussion here for this time. May the 4th be with you! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: diamond.g

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
IMG_0260.jpeg

That is ok, as long as it's cleaning up afterwards. Generally any modern system should fill memory to the max and that includes VRAM. There might be complications in relation to RAM/VRAM and pagefile size, but I don't think I've seen issues in games yet. Anyway, the game will eat up even more if you have more VRAM and that's ok. The same thing happens on macOS, you've probably seen the countless "why is my Mac eating up all memory while I'm not doing anything" posts.

It's no secret that Survivors has massive GPU requirements when it comes to VRAM and that's not going to change for any large game in the future, it will become more and more the more realistic games look and the larger resources become. On option would be to do better resource scaling for GPUs with less VRAM, but that would eat massively into CPU performance for pre-processing or make the game itself much larger. In order to battle these requirements, Microsoft announced GPU upload heaps for DirectX 12 which utilizes the resizable base address register.

However, your GPU is maxed out at 100% and that might be the more likely issue for stuttering. Similarly, a full utilization isn't a bad thing, however it should not lead to problems.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Suddenly I'm the new OP but you can take over from now on @diamond.g. :) For those who may be a bit confused many of the posts were moved to this new thread from another discussion. Since my posts are older they're placed first. diamond.g is the OP here.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: diamond.g

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
There is supposed to be another performance (and bug fix patch coming today for PC and Consoles. They are fixing the streaming setting to improve the traversal stutter (I will believe it when I see it cause they didn't fix it in the first game).

Reactions: Irishman

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
So the patch did improve traversal loading. They indicated that they improved some RT performance, but I did not see that during my play yesterday. That could still be due to the high VRAM usage (which I am sure gets worse with the BVH being stored in VRAM).
I am about to leave to get the cross guard stance so I can poop on the Rancor.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Hopefully bugs are fixed by the time I finally get to this. I still need to finish the first one.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
I thought this was funny so if you're looking for a shortcut to beat that boss here is how to do it. :)

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
So has no one tried Survivor via GPTK?
I have it on my list, but been too busy after returning from WWDC. Word of a colleague after a quick check, it doesn't work. I'll have to eventually look into a work around, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm not sure if it would be any good though. The game is fairly demanding and running via GPTK the Max turns into the equivalent of a $300 GPU, which is to be expected behaviour. It just needs more power.

I had a few other games on my list I wanted to revisit via GPTK that don't work either. Among them CoH3 and Hitman 3.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve really tried to like several StarWars/Jedi games starting way back when, and as a rule they just don’t hold me. Last one I tried was starting out on a planet as a laborer and you have to do all this fancy jumping to get from point A to B, then you do use the force to save someone, and there was some train action, but it felt labored, just a bunch of hoops to jump through. 🤔

Reactions: Homy

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’ve really tried to like several StarWars/Jedi games starting way back when,
Jedi: Fallen Order was a decent game, with a decent story. Not bad, though I did find it to be a bit redundant after a while. I've not played Jedi Survivor, and with the bugs being reported on the PC (at least initially), I'm in no hurry. Maybe if it goes on sale or something I'd consider it

Reactions: Huntn

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Patch 6.5 was released yesterday. I see some (steam) community posts that are upset Patch 7 isn't out yet...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.