Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello
so do you think that my mcabook will be able to handle starcraft 2, i use to run counter strike source on my mac.

menthol moose

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2006
They haven't really released requirements for Starcraft 2, but I think you'll be fine, except for maybe the graphics.

mrrish

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
depends if your macbook is running gma 950 or x3100. In either case though, you are looking at horrible performance.

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello
i just want it to run if i cared about graphics i would have stopped playing starcraft 1 a long time ago.

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
I wouldn't be terribly concerned; Blizzard makes a habit of designing games to run on hardware normal people have when their games are released. I would expect a GMA X3100 to perform acceptably. (Wikipedia notes that SC2 on Windows will use DirectX 9.)

Of course, then the question becomes: When will it be released? ;D

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I bet it'll be fine :D! Bad graphics of course, like everyone else suggests.

Just do what all the other people that play games and own an Apple computer do. Build your own tower... for half the cost of buying a Mac.

That's the only way I get to truly enjoy my games. But for running around campus and doing homework and other menial tasks, <3 my Macbook.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
blizzard has not yet stated the requirements for the game. A while back, a blizzard rep (rbarris) posted on these forums and said that they were not sure whether the game would run on intel integrated graphics. My guess is that it will because blizzard optimizes the crap out of their games, but it remains to be seen.

thies

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Given how badly macbooks handle even old games I expect SC2 to be terrible if it runs at all.

lapetitefurie

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
the Tardis
Warcraft

I have to say...while SC2 may be a different issue, I'm having no trouble running WoW, and I'm looking forward to playing the new expansion...when it comes out...

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Blizzard are known for making their games playable on older machines, so I'm pretty sure that X3100 MacBooks should run StarCraft II at about 20-30 fps on low settings. I'll be happy with that.

However, if not, my little brother is saving up for a custom gaming PC (he wants to play Age of Conan and other newer games), so I may have to contribute to his fund. :)

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
As with any games of the few years I expect the MB to perform unacceptably except for the truly desperate who like frame rates under 30 fps on lowest settings with no action on the screen.

gusto5

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2006
Canada
I imagine it would run as well as WoW does on your macbook, so probably not too poorly, but probably not as anesthetically lust-worthy as if you were playing it on a macbook pro or a mac pro =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.