Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I’m sick of the issues. And the “oh we will fix it with a patch in 6 months”
No question, also since publishers have been increasing the price of AAA games, there's even more reason to provide a bug free game. I'm not willing to drop nearly 70 bucks and then have to wait months for them to fix the issues

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
They can't afford it. Xbox has been so starved for content that another delay would cause a massive storm of backlash from angry customers who just want games for the $500 box they paid for, especially when their closest competition has two big upcoming exclusives with Final Fantasy 16 and Insomniac's Spider-Man 2, while Xbox has nothing.
Tell me about it. I have essentially bought an Xbox Series X (end of 2022) to be a paperweight for a year until Starfield, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 and State of Decay 3 are released. Until then I'm all in on PS5 and XSX is back to its box 🤦‍♂️. If I'm honest, Microsoft owning Bethesda is the only reason I own the console as I've always had Playstation as my main gaming hub.

After these 3 titles, I'm hoping for a new Elder Scrolls and praying for a new Fallout Game along with a remaster of Fallout New Vegas. 🙏

If Starfield is delayed into 2024 the XSX is getting sold and replaced with a Switch!

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
The interview Phil gave yesterday was dreadful, to me he seemed to say the console is there, but it won’t be our main focus. Game Pass is, and that’s because they can’t compete with Sony and Nintendo.

I think if they delay Starfield they will start to lose customers. What he said in his interview is really bugging me actually. I‘m certainly not sure what to expect from Starfield now.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
The interview Phil gave yesterday was dreadful, to me he seemed to say the console is there, but it won’t be our main focus. Game Pass is, and that’s because they can’t compete with Sony and Nintendo.

I think if they delay Starfield they will start to lose customers. What he said in his interview is really bugging me actually. I‘m certainly not sure what to expect from Starfield now.

It makes sense. They're arguably making more revenue from the PC versions now.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
It makes sense. They're arguably making more revenue from the PC versions now.

I don’t think they are in terms of Game Pass subscribers, I think the majority of those are still on console for now. The PC side is growing the most though. Still very deftest comments from Phil Spencer.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Tell me about it. I have essentially bought an Xbox Series X (end of 2022) to be a paperweight for a year until Starfield, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 and State of Decay 3 are released. Until then I'm all in on PS5 and XSX is back to its box 🤦‍♂️. If I'm honest, Microsoft owning Bethesda is the only reason I own the console as I've always had Playstation as my main gaming hub.

After these 3 titles, I'm hoping for a new Elder Scrolls and praying for a new Fallout Game along with a remaster of Fallout New Vegas. 🙏

If Starfield is delayed into 2024 the XSX is getting sold and replaced with a Switch!

ive always assumed i will buy a Series X or maybe even just a Series S, just for Starfield and any other Bethesda exclusives. Would love a remaster of New Vegas, alas instead we are getting a remaster of F4, which unless its got extra content i doubt i will be playing as ive played F4 just too much. And i dont think i can face the first 20 mins again of the father being in the house, the insurance guy, the bomb, wakening up, getting out of the first bunker....

Reactions: jimmy_uk

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
ive always assumed i will buy a Series X or maybe even just a Series S, just for Starfield and any other Bethesda exclusives.
This was the very reason why I switched from PS4 to XBox. I was going to buy the next gen console and because of the Gamepass sub, and the fact that MS bought Bethesda, I switched. Funnily enough, I still play a lot of games on my PC, and I don't find the Xbox all that tempting. I'll probably just buy a PS5 and give the XBox X to my stepson

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
This was the very reason why I switched from PS4 to XBox. I was going to buy the next gen console and because of the Gamepass sub, and the fact that MS bought Bethesda, I switched. Funnily enough, I still play a lot of games on my PC, and I don't find the Xbox all that tempting. I'll probably just buy a PS5 and give the XBox X to my stepson
PS5 catalogue is excellent and I really like the controller with its new triggers. The coil whine is very real but what can you do, I already had one machine replaced but it whines just as much depending on the graphics shown. So it's at least 5 metres away from me so I can try to ignore it.

Last edited:
Reactions: maflynn

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I am dissapointed in Microsoft. They and Sony have mismarketed this generation of consoles. Resources of gaming developers have been stretched and spread thinly by the following:

• 120hz
  • Ray tracing
  • Dolby Vision
  • Big expansive world
  • High interactivity
  • Quick resume
  • Mass multiplayer online gaming

All of the above are fantastic capabilities but as we have learned over the past year, they cannot be dialed up to max at the same time. Some games have lacked the wow effect that I expect 2.5 years into ownership of my Series X. Flight simulator, forza horizon 5 and hi fi ruch are great showcases for the series x. But that's it, showcases rather than deeply fun and emotional story telling.

The expectations of Starfield are too high. I am avoiding pinning my hopes on it to be THE flagship xbox game.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'll probably just buy a PS5 and give the XBox X to my stepson
Well, I pulled the trigger, I was able to pool my Amazon gift cards together to a degree that my out of pocket expense was 100 dollars.

PS5 catalogue is excellent and I really like the controller with its new triggers. The coil whine is very real but what can you do,
I struggled with the Xbox controller it was just fat and big. I finally got used to where the X button was, and it wasn't un-ergnomic, that is being fat didn't make it worse. With that said, having the PS5 controller in my hand, I feel like its so much better. As for coil whine, so far mine's whisper quiet - not sure if that will remain but so far so good

I am dissapointed in Microsoft. They and Sony have mismarketed this generation of consoles. Resources of gaming developers have been stretched and spread thinly by the following:
I'm going to say MS has mismanaged it more so. If they had compelling games, I may not have been tempted. The console just sat in my living room unused. I stopped the game pass subscription last year. While I did use it, it wasn't enough to justify the monthly expense. I tend to stick to one or two games for a long period before moving on.

The expectations of Starfield are too high.
Agreed, though with the failure of redfall and being under the Bethesda umbrella, it has tempered people to a degree. Bethesda has the ability to produce hugely immersive and ginormous open worlds with levels of detail that sometimes can surprise even the most jaded gamer. I mean, just look at Skyrim, playing that for years and you still can come across things never seen, or quests that have yet to be completed. They just need to roll out a game that is not buggy, if it's like Fallout 76 its going to get ugly real quick

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Well, I pulled the trigger, I was able to pool my Amazon gift cards together to a degree that my out of pocket expense was 100 dollars.

I struggled with the Xbox controller it was just fat and big. I finally got used to where the X button was, and it wasn't un-ergnomic, that is being fat didn't make it worse. With that said, having the PS5 controller in my hand, I feel like its so much better. As for coil whine, so far mine's whisper quiet - not sure if that will remain but so far so good

I'm going to say MS has mismanaged it more so. If they had compelling games, I may not have been tempted. The console just sat in my living room unused. I stopped the game pass subscription last year. While I did use it, it wasn't enough to justify the monthly expense. I tend to stick to one or two games for a long period before moving on.

Agreed, though with the failure of redfall and being under the Bethesda umbrella, it has tempered people to a degree. Bethesda has the ability to produce hugely immersive and ginormous open worlds with levels of detail that sometimes can surprise even the most jaded gamer. I mean, just look at Skyrim, playing that for years and you still can come across things never seen, or quests that have yet to be completed. They just need to roll out a game that is not buggy, if it's like Fallout 76 its going to get ugly real quick
I don’t think Starfield will live up to the expectations as Xbox’s saviour. Frankly, I don’t think Microsoft cares about story telling and single player rpg as much as Sony or Nintendo.

MS size of prize is billions of players with 365 accounts. With Minecraft, WoW and COD, they will have a portfolio of games with hundreds of millions of players. That matters more to MS than producing Zelda or Mario 3D world competitor.

If it wasn’t for Flight Simulator I would possibly not own an Xbox.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I don’t think Starfield will live up to the expectations as Xbox’s saviour
I think Starfield is unfairly being put into the position of Xbox's savior simply because of Microsoft's current (and past) failings. I'm REALLY hoping Starfield comes out of the gate without any major bugs. I think if that's the case it will live up to expectations that the game is great. Again not as Xbox savior but on its own a fantastic game.

Frankly, I don’t think Microsoft cares about story telling and single player rpg as much as Sony or Nintendo.
I think they've done a poor job at managing the various publishers they've purchased. They have a number of great development studios just like Sony has, yet they seem to struggle to publish great games.

MS size of prize is billions of players with 365 accounts. With Minecraft, WoW and COD, they will have a portfolio of games with hundreds of millions of players. That matters more to MS than producing Zelda or Mario 3D world competitor.
MS is more focused on getting gamers to buy into the subscription service and they tried to mitigate the comments that its bad for game sales but the truth came out

Xbox Game Pass Does Decrease Base Game Sales, Microsoft Says
According to Microsoft, base game sales do decrease after inclusion on Game Pass. "Microsoft also submitted that its internal analysis shows a [redacted]% decline in base game sales twelve months following their addition on Game Pass," the CMA states.

This is different from what Microsoft Gaming boss Phil Spencer previously said in a 2018 levelup.com interview where he claimed that Game Pass actually encourages sales of the base game.

If it wasn’t for Flight Simulator I would possibly not own an Xbox.
As noted, I've moved away from the Xbox, I'll still play games on my PC, so when Starfield comes out, I'll be looking to get that game. I am a bit concerned about Bethesda being Bethesda and even with the year delay, it will be a buggy mess.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
As noted, I've moved away from the Xbox, I'll still play games on my PC, so when Starfield comes out, I'll be looking to get that game. I am a bit concerned about Bethesda being Bethesda and even with the year delay, it will be a buggy mess.
The majority of recent triple AAA titles have been buggy at launch. This is why I don't pre-order games anymore. However, Starfield will be on Gamepass and I'll simply subscribe for a month to play it. Fingers crossed it will look great! Overall I still love the Xbox Series X. It's quiet, loads games super fast and the deals in the xbox store are sometimes brilliant bargains.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Starfield will be locked to 30 FPS on Xbox. Todd Howard explains why.

No matter how you can spin this, I don't think this will be well received. I mean there seemed to be a lot of complaining and histrionics from having redfall only 30fps - but that game had more issues.

Since I no longer have an Xbox, AND my RTX 2060 is probably going to buckle under the load, I myself may not see greater then 30FPS.

Reactions: diamond.g

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

No matter how you can spin this, I don't think this will be well received. I mean there seemed to be a lot of complaining and histrionics from having redfall only 30fps - but that game had more issues.

Since I no longer have an Xbox, AND my RTX 2060 is probably going to buckle under the load, I myself may not see greater then 30FPS.
Yeah I saw that brought up and so far folks are mixed, some are saying that it may be fine because it is a single player rpg...

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

I do not understand why there is no performance mode. We're three years into the 9th generation with 60FPS FINALLY becoming standard. Every PlayStation 5 game has performance mode, many of which are so good you can't even tell the difference between fidelity or performance. Not to mention the recommended specs for StarField have come out, and I don't really see anything in the specs that would mean no performance mode

It's possible this is just PR and they didn't have any time to playtest a performance mode since they had to do a lot of polish since it is a Bethesda game, but it still stings.

Yeah I saw that brought up and so far folks are mixed, some are saying that it may be fine because it is a single player rpg...

A single player RPG with fast combat mechanics. Trying to move fast at 30 FPS is gonna be painful.

Thank god I'm a PC Gamer.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I do not understand why there is no performance mode. We're three years into the 9th generation with 60FPS FINALLY becoming standard. Every PlayStation 5 game has performance mode, many of which are so good you can't even tell the difference between fidelity or performance. Not to mention the recommended specs for StarField have come out, and I don't really see anything in the specs that would mean no performance mode
You cannot miss what you have never had, but once you have had something, you will expect it going forward. For PS5 and Series S/X gamers, that's quality and performance modes.

I think that there will be a performance mode. Bethesda and MS have simply chosen not to prioritise it for launch day. Neither do they want to make a promise as they want gamers to focus on playing the game rather than waiting or speculating on the 60 fps mode.

The next step is to make decisions on how much AND where textures, shadow detail, resolution and draw distance should be dialled down in order to achieve 60fps.

I look forward to the game but won't be in a rush to play it on day one. I will happily wait for user reviews to understand whether it's a game worth investing 20-70 hours into if I am inevitably going to be bored or underwhelmed.

Reactions: Donfor39

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
The trailer has landed, looks like a must have game for me. I was very disappointed to see a late 2022 release date being announced. I thought they were further along, but with that said, I'm hoping that the typical Bethesda bugs will be a thing of the past.

One for the Soundbar!

AlphaMirage

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2023
Starfield looks absolutely awesome! As a huge fan of Freelancer, I had hoped for it to be more spaceship-focused and serve as a worthy successor to the beloved game. That being said, from what I've seen, there appears to be a notable emphasis on person-to-person shooting in the combat scenes. However, if the game manages to avoid major bugs and technical issues, I believe it has the potential to become a monumental hit.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Starfield looks absolutely awesome!
It does, but by the same token, I really don't want to get my hopes up. Bethesda has made some fantastic games in the past, but their releases tend to be buggy.

I think both Bethesda and Microsoft really need a home run at this point. The Xbox platform just isn't compelling at the moment.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Maybe latest 1tb Black S Series can impress.
I think the hardware is great, I have the Series X. Its the exclusives, at least for me, there's nothing drawing me to use the Xbox. I feel like I'm not alone, when I switched platforms and went over to the PS5. I use that so much more, and the game selection is night and day. At the end of the day, I would go to PS5 and spend an hour or two, that was something that I rarely did with the Xbox.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I think the hardware is great, I have the Series X. Its the exclusives, at least for me, there's nothing drawing me to use the Xbox. I feel like I'm not alone, when I switched platforms and went over to the PS5. I use that so much more, and the game selection is night and day. At the end of the day, I would go to PS5 and spend an hour or two, that was something that I rarely did with the Xbox.
I'm a gaming agnostic and have been since the early 90's. I purchase every console made because it allows me to enjoy each platforms strengths. I also have a couple of gaming rigs that were considered high end 3 years ago.

I would rate them as follows

Nintendo for their 1st party exclusives. Nintendo is just special in the way they create a gaming experience whether you are 8 years old or someone in their 60's.

Sony for their exclusives but they have been declining in numbers as more and more is going multiplatform. This generation there have been only a handful of Sony Studio exclusives such as Astro Bots, Spiderman, Returnal, Gran Turismo, Horizon West, TLOU that I can think of. The PS4 seemed to had a lot more in house exclusives.

XBOX for Game Pass and XBOX Live.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.