Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
My cousin lives near a network hub of this startup company in Holland, and they sell 1 Gbps glass fibre for 45 euros a month. And thats their minimum, base speed. Not bad, I thought, unfortunately not in my town and I have to put up with 300 Mbps down / 30 Mbps up on cable from a big provider.

Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
My cousin lives near a network hub of this startup company in Holland, and they sell 1 Gbps glass fibre for 45 euros a month. And thats their minimum, base speed. Not bad, I thought, unfortunately not in my town and I have to put up with 300 Mbps down / 30 Mbps up on cable from a big provider.
Do they offer 2 Gbps or 5 Gbps ?

Matz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Better than nothing, especially where internet could not exist before Or was exceedingly slow.
Exactly. We've been using Verizon, and it's pretty much 15 to 20 Mbps up and 5 down. That was the absolute best we could get. It was more expensive but considerably better than HughesNet. Streaming video was ok, but would sometimes pause for awhile, as in minutes.

As for Starlink, it's raining hard here, and this is what we're getting now:

1647536339205.jpeg

It's often a higher download speed than the above (>200 Mbps); likewise with upload speeds (around 12 - 15 Mbps).

So I'm pleased with the decision to go with Starlink. It's not quite as speedy or steady as Comcast was when I lived in town, but it is more than good enough to meet my needs

In other news, I just found out that the roof mount and ethernet adapter won't ship until May, instead of the end of March. The dish will continue to serve as a lawn ornament.

Plus I threw the box away yesterday, so it's a keeper.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Exactly. We've been using Verizon, and it's pretty much 15 to 20 Mbps up and 5 down. That was the absolute best we could get. It was more expensive but considerably better than HughesNet. Streaming video was ok, but would sometimes pause for awhile, as in minutes.

View attachment 1975190
It's often a higher download speed than the above (>200 Mbps); likewise with upload speeds (around 12 - 15 Mbps).

So I'm pleased with the decision to go with Starlink. It's not quite as speedy or steady as Comcast was when I lived in town, but it is more than good enough to meet my needs

In other news, I just found out that the roof mount and ethernet adapter won't ship until May, instead of the end of March. The dish will continue to serve as a lawn ornament.

This is great for download streaming, in fact it is faster than my 100Mbit fiber service. For upload, don’t plan on cloud storage unless you don’t mind 24 hr upload sessions.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
As a rural resident, my options for internet service have been limited to a cellular hotspot or satellite (Hughsnet).

We tried Hughesnet, and cancelled after the initial contract. We're currently enjoying the 12 MBPS (and sometimes slower) Verizon MiFi offers.

A year ago I signed up for Starlink, paid the deposit, and waited. And waited some more.

Since I signed up the dish design has changed, and delivery dates were pushed out a couple of times.

A couple of days ago Starlink emailed me and asked me to confirm the order, and pay for the equipment. Interestingly, the price seems to have gone up a bit. No matter, I'm looking forward to finally having what promises to be decent internet access.

I realize that this is no big deal to most folks, at least in the US, since most folks here live in areas with good internet service. But to rural denizens, it has the potential for being a game changer. Local governments have been working on increasing broadband access to underserved areas, but progress, at least thus far, has been glacial at best. Starlink seems like the best bet, at this point.

I’d be ALL OVER this if it came to my area. I’m so tired of the expensive, useless options.

Reactions: Matz

Matz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
This is great for download streaming, in fact it is faster than my 100Mbit fiber service. For upload, don’t plan on cloud storage unless you don’t mind 24 hr upload sessions.
Since the vast majority of my data is already in iCloud, further uploads are mainly incremental, I would think. I can see it being a problem if I was uploading a lot of content at once, but so far I haven't had the occasion to do that.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I don’t know. We back up my wife’s photos (she‘s a photographer) with backblaze (we have 100 Mb down and 8 Mb up) and it works fine. It just takes a while…still works perfectly though.

That said, due to the CSAM stuff, I rolled my own local cloud server for everything else so I guess I agree in that sense? :) Anyway, my point was that it will work fine to use 8 Mb upload.

Reactions: Matz and Huntn

Matz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
I don’t know. We back up my wife’s photos (she‘s a photographer) with backblaze (we have 100 Mb down and 8 Mb up) and it works fine. It just takes a while…still works perfectly though.

That said, due to the CSAM stuff, I rolled my own local cloud server for everything else so I guess I agree in that sense? :) Anyway, my point was that it will work fine to use 8 Mb upload.
Good to know!

Matz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
These are pretty typical of the speeds I've been getting. The system seems to have settled down, for lack of a better term. There's less variability throughout the day/evening.

1647715014124.jpeg

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Well, Starlink just raised their prices to $549 for the equipment, and $110/month for the service.
Still worth the cost, to me.

$110/month just for internet services? Wow... $$$

My parents still have DSL (10MB down, <1MB up), they live out in the boonies. They are in their 80's, otherwise I would let them know about this option. There is no way they would pay that much though.

I pay $240 per month for Fios service (4 cable boxes, 2 of which are DVR, all movie channels + 100 up/down), but, I have neighbor's houses 20' on both sides of my house.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Wow indeed. The things we take for granted in a city/suburb/town.

In truly rural areas, reasonably fast internet access isn’t available otherwise, at any price.

One of the hidden costs of living in the country.

Reactions: Zaren

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I have said this for a while. You have to want to live in the country. I find the tradeoff...worth it. Starlink will help other find the tradeoff worth it as well.

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2023

View attachment 1975190

I'm strongly considering getting Starlink. Are you happy with the service ?

• What's your average download/upload speed ?
  • Is the connection stable with a clear blue sky ?
  • Is the connection stable with a cloudy/rainy weather ?
  • Has the drop rate improved over the time you've had Stralink ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As a rural resident, my options for internet service have been limited to a cellular hotspot or satellite (Hughsnet).

We tried Hughesnet, and cancelled after the initial contract. We're currently enjoying the 12 MBPS (and sometimes slower) Verizon MiFi offers.

A year ago I signed up for Starlink, paid the deposit, and waited. And waited some more.

Since I signed up the dish design has changed, and delivery dates were pushed out a couple of times.

A couple of days ago Starlink emailed me and asked me to confirm the order, and pay for the equipment. Interestingly, the price seems to have gone up a bit. No matter, I'm looking forward to finally having what promises to be decent internet access.

I realize that this is no big deal to most folks, at least in the US, since most folks here live in areas with good internet service. But to rural denizens, it has the potential for being a game changer. Local governments have been working on increasing broadband access to underserved areas, but progress, at least thus far, has been glacial at best. Starlink seems like the best bet, at this point.
What are the up and down speeds? How much is the service?

Reactions: Matz and max2

Matz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
I'm strongly considering getting Starlink. Are you happy with the service ?

• What's your average download/upload speed ?
  • Is the connection stable with a clear blue sky ?
  • Is the connection stable with a cloudy/rainy weather ?
  • Has the drop rate improved over the time you've had Stralink ?
I’m very happy with it, particularly given the alternatives. It’s usually plenty fast enough.
100+ down, 10-20 up.
It’s stable with a clear sky, as well as with moderate rain. It occasionally goes out during a downpour, but not always.
The drop rate has improved, I believe. However, I haven’t logged its behaviour.

• Love
Reactions: Jay Tee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.