Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
StarOffice was originally made for Unix, so therefore how easy is it to port to Mac OSX?

I really want a replacment for Office v.X

Guy

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
star office

i don't know if star office is made for mac also or not

but when i put star office on my pc, it worked but it is really a RAM hog so i uninstalled it...but when i put microsoft office premium on it, everything worked quite well

is office x a RAM hog too?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
star office is big

..i mean big in the sense the book for it i saw at borders is around a thousand+ pages long!

for a program i had for only a few months which was free, it certainly had a lot to teach me and i only scratched the surface of star office

the free downloaded file of star office which took almost two hours at 56k took up 78MB of hard disk space which wasn't bad at all

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: star office

Originally posted by jefhatfield
i don't know if star office is made for mac also or not

but when i put star office on my pc, it worked but it is really a RAM hog so i uninstalled it...but when i put microsoft office premium on it, everything worked quite well

is office x a RAM hog too?

I believe that star office is being developed for mac osx BUT I dont think that Sun is having anything to do with the development! I think the code was released to the open source community so that they could help sun create a working version. Sun is just putting together the bits.

I could be wrong though.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Thanks

Hi

Office v.X is quite a good program, the interface was created along with the IE interface by a company in London.

Thanks for your help!
Guy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.