Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
Is there a way to run an automation, when I wake up?

My iPhone in the Health app tells me how much time I spent in bed. Therefore, could I set up an automation that turns on lights and opens blinds, when I wake up? What action on my phone triggers its determination that I am awake? I certainly wouldn’t want the lights to turn on, when I get up to make a bathroom stop in the middle of the night.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I don't know if this is helpful but I have an automation that sets my Sleep focus if I put my phone on a charger between 10pm and 7am. A second automation turns the Sleep focus off whenever I remove the phone from the charger.

I haven't tied any wake-up automations to those, but I suppose it's possible. Only downside I could see would be a power failure in the night taking the phone off charge early, but with no power the lights probably wouldn't turn on. Shades might still open though...

Anyway, if you're in the habit of dropping your iPhone on a nightstand charger at night and have reliable power, you could maybe make removing it from the charger in the morning a trigger for some wake-up automations. My wake-up automations are all time-of-day based because I get up at the same time every morning.

Reactions: DominikHoffmann

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
You can do this with Personal Automations in the Shortcuts app. Start creating an automation and you can see all your trigger options. There are a couple that you could potentially use...

Alarm:
Alarm.jpeg

Sleep:
Sleep.jpeg

Reactions: dotme

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
You can do this with Personal Automations in the Shortcuts app. Start creating an automation and you can see all your trigger options. There are a couple that you could potentially use...

Alarm:
View attachment 2365271

Sleep:
View attachment 2365272
That looks good! Would there also be a way to run that automation with a condition that says “when the alarm on my or my wife’s phone goes off, whichever is later?”

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
That looks good! Would there also be a way to run that automation with a condition that says “when the alarm on my or my wife’s phone goes off, whichever is later?”
You would have to do something creative with multiple automations. For example, both of you could have an automation to check the state of a smart plug (or perhaps a single light bulb) when waking up. If it's off, turn it on; if it's already on, then turn on the lights and open the blinds. The smart plug would keep track if someone already woke up in order to know if it should do the other stuff. Of course this wouldn't work if one of you were away from home though.

Otherwise, there are other options that are slightly less automated, but simpler. Could stick an NFC sticker (or AirTag) by your nightstand or door. Tap that with your phone(s) to run an automation associated with that tag. Or get a physical button/switch to run an automation/scene.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
You should draw up a patent application for a new type of wearable.
Haha. sorry, I couldn’t provide anything better than what the other two posts had. I was going to suggest just a little smart button to run the scene since you’re awake anyway but that isn’t really automated. One YouTuber I believe did something with a pressure sensor under his mattress and got it into HomeKit. Think it was Shane Whatley but not 💯 sure on that.

Who knows. Maybe the human body will be fully connected like that some day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.