Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Hi u all,
got a little problem, namely the following :)

Anybody wants to write me a boot script ( Not a cron table entry ) so that folding ( console version ) is run @startup? -> path = /Applications/folding/

would be great thx

p.s i don t want to spam, but unfortunatly i can t resolve the problem by my own :(

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
may i ask why u don't want it in crontab?

i did come up with another solution, but it's going to run the F@H process as root. i can write u a script if you want either way.

let me know. :)

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by mc68k
may i ask why u don't want it in crontab?

i did come up with another solution, but it's going to run the F@H process as root. i can write u a script if you want either way.

let me know. :)

If I want to install Folding on a school comp does your single processor script run it and works?

If it does not can you add this to a feature.

Edit: I speaking language 'no' today.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by MrMacman
If I want to install Folding on a school comp does your single processor script run it and works?

If it does not can to add a startup feature?
the startup part of the script assumes you know the password and account name for an admin acct. messing around with startup stuff always assumes admin privledges.

other than that, as long as you can get to the terminal, mount .dmg files, and copy stuff to the desktop, u should be fine.

that last sentence u wrote makes no sense btw.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by mc68k
the startup part of the script assumes you know the password and account name for an admin acct. messing around with startup stuff always assumes admin privledges.

other than that, as long as you can get to the terminal, mount .dmg files, and copy stuff to the desktop, u should be fine.

that last sentence u wrote makes no sense btw.

'If it does not, can you add this to a feature.'
Sorry about speaking gibberish.

So do I need admin priv to run your script or do I need priv to use the script for startup?

I really REALLY don't want to hack the macs in my school. :rolleyes:

I want a few things:
Runs on Starup.
Runs in background I don't want them to easily see it and delete it.
and hopefully, easy.

Thanks if the SP script works good, if I need to get the admin priv you will here a grunt come from me.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by MrMacman
So do I need admin priv to run your script or do I need priv to use the script for startup?
just for startup. it runs the command
Code:
sudo crontab -u [i]username[/i] file
I really REALLY don't want to hack the macs in my school. :rolleyes:
i have the same problem with the library lab. i'm testing it out over the next few days.

I want a few things:
Runs on Starup.
Runs in background I don't want them to easily see it and delete it.
and hopefully, easy.
yes, yes, and yes. hopefully they don't know how to check processes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.