Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Had an iPhone, tried Android, then what?

• Total voters

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Long story short, I was a previous iPhone 4S owner, got the Galaxy Nexus, and my GN crapped out on me (motherboard failure or something).

Now that I'm in need of a new phone, I'm considering going back to the 4S, but am honestly having a hard time accepting iOS' shortcomings now that I know how amazing ICS is. And iOS 6 really doesn't impress.

Google Play sells the GN for 399, where as the 4S is 649. It's literally paying more for a phone that can do less. Very difficult to reconcile and justify that.

I haven't committed to a decision yet, but I'm leaning toward getting another GN. Hopefully I won't get a lemon this time.

You didn't have insurance? What about the manufacturer warranty?

Oh and I love the tab 2 as well. Find myself using it more than my iPad

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
You didn't have insurance? What about the manufacturer warranty?

Oh and I love the tab 2 as well. Find myself using it more than my iPad

Unfortunately, I bought it shipped internationally (literally weeks before Google offered it in the US through Play; bad timing) so the warranty is with Samsung UK, and frankly, I just don't want to bother sending it overseas. I've read they are notoriously dodgy with their warranty so there's no guarantee it'll even get repaired. In other words, any money that I have to put into this phone is, in my opinion, a waste.

It's really a sucky situation overall. And I've already tried reflashing the Google stock ROMS through the help of XDA members, but to no avail. Something about the ROM chip or whatever is damaged and won't recognize new ROMs.

There are definitely a few things I miss about iOS, but there's no question that ICS is the superior OS. I can't even look at Safari or Mail anymore after getting used to Chrome and Gmail. And don't even get me started on the keyboard... I'm still stunned iOS 6 has no keyboard improvements whatsoever. If all those "Damn You iPhone Auto Correct" websites aren't an indication to Apple that their keyboard is in sore need of upgrades, then I don't know what will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.