Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wealhmær Sylwester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2023
Hello! I'm starting a university course in Artificial Intelligence soon, and I'm looking to get a MacBook that will handle my academic needs without breaking the bank. I'd really appreciate some suggestions on which MacBook would be the most cost-effective for my situation.

Thanks!

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2023
Hello! I'm starting a university course in Artificial Intelligence soon, and I'm looking to get a MacBook that will handle my academic needs without breaking the bank. I'd really appreciate some suggestions on which MacBook would be the most cost-effective for my situation.

Thanks!
I really depends on your budget and if you consider buying older and used eletronics.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
Ask the course instructor. Most AI requires significant resources, CPU/GPU and storage. I doubt there will be much processing on a laptop. I suspect the M1 Air with 8 gig would work quite nicely and can be had for about $750 on sale.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016

Thanks!

My suggestion, especially if $$$ is a limiting factor, is to check the general computer recommendations of the university and the specific hardware + software requirements of the academic department or program before buying anything. A "great deal" could become a horrible deal if a cheap machine can't be used for its intended purposes or can only be used for a few months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.