Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t_kipre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2023
I currently use an iPhone 13 mini and have a new 15 Pro Max on order (trying to wait patiently).

Before my 13 mini, I had used Samsung phones for the majority of my life, so I started completely fresh in the Apple ecosystem. Didn't transfer anything from my old phone, just loaded my old photos into a hard drive and traded the phone in. I really enjoyed that feeling of setting up a phone from scratch and not having my new phone full of old apps/files/photos that I don't need anymore.

I'd like to do the same when my Pro Max arrives, but considering this is my first time moving from one iPhone to another, is there anything besides photos and contacts that I should be careful to retain?

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
I set my iPhone up as new every year rather than pulling everything over, like you said it forces me to actually get rid of apps and stuff I don’t use. I do use iCloud, don’t know if you do but messages are very important to me so if you want your messages make sure that is turned on in iCloud. Additionally if you use the Apple Watch or health app at all you would want to carry that data over as well. Pretty much anything in iCloud that you feel is important. You’ll just choose to set the phone up without transferring any data and then can pull iCloud data as you like.

Reactions: t_kipre

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I’ve always set up my iPhones as new phones. I just log into my Apple ID and then download the applications that I want and everything works as intended… it only takes 30 minutes to set everything up the way I like it.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I never instal apps that I do not use/need. I always let my old phone restore my new one and have never had a problem. I do not have the time or the will to completely re-set up my phone from new.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Just make sure you know all your log-in information and are able to go into your banking app etc. I suggest you do not wipe your 13 Mini until you have set up your new phone.

For instance, to get my banking app to work on my new iPhone, I have to verify the login on my old iPhone (which still has the banking app on it) or my health insurance app requires me to scan a qr-code from a physical letter so I had to make sure to have this letter to be able to log in again

Mejoco_LC475

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
United Kingdom
I have a 15 Pro on order, on this occasion I plan to set it up as fresh. iCloud will do most the heavy lifting, as I haven't upgraded to iOS 17 on my current 13 Pro I find it a good way to dive under the bonnet (hood) and get acquainted with Settings etc.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I did a phone to phone transfer and everything went well with no issues.. If you want to spend the time setting up as a new device more power to you.. I've done both and did see much difference.

Reactions: Jackbequickly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.