Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I have used CCCloner to transfer the OS & programs to a Firewire external THEN when so desired started from the external - no problems.

I just cloned Sierra from one machine to a USB3 external.

Then I tried to start from the external connected to a machine w/ Mavericks - there was a circle w/ a slash through it.

Tried again this time erasing the external with DU before cloning - same problem.

Perhaps the Sierra clone can only start a machine with Sierra - if the external is USB (rather than Firewire)?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
The Sierra clone should be capable of booting any Mac capable of running Sierra.

The first thing that came to mind is if the machine w/ Mavericks is capable of running with Sierra. What model and year is the Mac with Mavericks?

Will the recently Sierra cloned USB3 external boot the Mac that is currently running Sierra? To test if the clone can boot any Mac.

What Partition Map is the Sierra USB3 external? It needs to be GUID and not MBR.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Thanks for the reply, will check what you said and return here.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Machine is 2010 MBP
External would not start any Sierra capable machine we have.

So I ran Drive Genius on the external and now it works fine as start up disk.

Must have been a CCC malfunction, which is not common in our experience but does happen.

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.