Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
After installing the newest update, my startup chime quit working.

I've tried all sound settings and output devices as well as a NVRAM (PRAM) reset to no avail.

When doing the reset, the chime works, but when booting to OS X 10.11.6 there is no chime. I've googled around and tried various things but so far not having any success.

Suggestions?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I remember having that problem over a year ago on an OS update. IIRC, the fix for me was to unplug my external speakers, go into the Sound Control Panel and select the internal speaker and turn up the volume. I then reconnected the external speakers, chose them again and restarted and voila the chime was back.

Lou

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
I had a similar issue a few upgrades ago, it's like the system couldn't 'see' the speakers on my old MBP. The volume control was greyed out and changing settings for output device in sound settings had no effect. (even weirder was if I booted into my Snow Leopard partition everything was fine!).

What cured it for me was putting some headphones into the 3.5mm socket and taking them out again, it was like the switch in the socket had got 'stuck' (odd as I never use headphones and Snow Leopard could see the speakers fine) and this seemed to 'reset' the software into recognising that the speakers were there!

A simple but unnecessary fix as this shouldn't happen!

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Okay, so I've tried all the suggestions and still no chime. Kind of irritating ...

I even tried reinstalling from a USB stick... Still no chime.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm not going obsess on it. Everything else is working fine. I may tinker with it a little later when I have time to kill.

Thanks for the suggestions...

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
So, magically.... The chime started working again without any remedies performed by me. WTH?

Anyway, all seems normal now, so thanks for all the help guys.

Reactions: 997440
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.