Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
London
I've recently updated to Mojave, but haven't used Bootcamp for a while so this issue may have been there with High Sierra. I can boot into Windows 10 by holding Option at boot, and can load Bootcamp fine through Parallels. But if I try to select Bootcamp via Startup Disk, I just get a message telling me "The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk". Does anyone have any suggestions?

Pertinent info:

Mac Pro 5,1 with both macOS and Windows on an 850EVO in a drive bay.
Windows 10 with all updates, installed in legacy (BIOS) mode.
Bootcamp 6,1 panel installed in Windows and all working fine - can see macOS and Windows in the panel, and choose to reboot into macOS from Windows (though it will anyway on rebooting).
MacOS 10.14.1, APFS file system.

Have tried disabling SIP in Recovery mode, but this didn't allow Startup Disk to bless the disk.

Winclone has a feature to Make Legacy Bootable which may help, but I don't want to just click on things randomly in case I break something.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
London
Just in case anyone else has the same issue - I solved this by reinstalling 10.14.1, using the 6GB download from App Store.

That was a bit later on, after I had erased 10.14.1 and restored it from a TM backup, to solve the separate issue of having a delay during boot, when TRIM is enabled. This actually fixed the delay (surprisingly), but left none of the volumes on my disk 'blessed' i.e. bootable. The Mac would boot, but only after a delay whilst it (presumably) scanned all the disks for OS's. None were selectable in Startup Disk either. Reinstalling macOS fixed this, and as a nice bonus, made Bootcamp selectable in Startup Disk as well.

Last edited:

VaZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
I have the issue of BootCamp not showing up in the Mojave Startup Disk pane any longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.