Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
The T2 chip and Apple SSD is more interweaved than I or the Apple Tech Support thought.

I installed a Samsung Nvme 970 Evo Plus via Pcie slot in my 2019 Mac Pro to serve as the OS drive.

This would leave the original 4TB Apple SSD that the Mac came with as my Media drive for video editing.

Everything went well install and all.

I hit a snag when I wanted to go back into the Startup Security Utility to revise the security settings but I could not get past the password.

To be clear, my password is fine. I went past the OS recovery verification. But that same password I use for the computer could not get past the System Security Utility login.

I was speaking with Apple Tech Support and he only knows getting past the T2 security is what matters which I did.

The only solution is to boot back into the Apple SSD first. Once thats done, you restart into Recovery mode and then you can get past the Startup Security Utility login.

My point is that it’s unfair the internal drives can’t be wiped clean. You’ll need your OS boot in there forever to access the aforementioned Utility.

Anything I missed that may solve this?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.