Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zephyre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Geelong, Australia
My new M1 MacBook Air has audio static when it is connected via USB-C to a monitor with external speakers.

If I connect directly to the Macbook headphone jack - no audio problems.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

qaxl

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
My new M1 MacBook Air has audio static when it is connected via USB-C to a monitor with external speakers.

If I connect directly to the Macbook headphone jack - no audio problems.

Any ideas?
I signed up specifically to this forum to say - YES, me too! Same situation - 3.5mm jack fine, static/crackles with external speakers vs a USB-C cable. Plugging into the headphone jack isn't a great solution - different video inputs to the monitor should output the corresponding audio to the connected speakers. Only the Mac's audio is faulty.

Reactions: Zephyre

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
If you’re using the TRS jack, the Mac is doing the DA conversion.
By using an external monitor with built in speakers via USB or HDMI, you rely on the monitor’s DA conversion.
Is it just a static noise or crackling as well?

qaxl

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
After messing around with different power boards and powerpoints to identify/eliminate a ground loop (unsuccessfully), I just gave in and have reverted to using the 3.5mm output again. It's annoying to unplug when I switch monitor inputs, but the clarity is noticeably superior to the USB-C audio, even when it doesn't crackles and pop.

Reactions: Zephyre

Zephyre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Geelong, Australia
After messing around with different power boards and powerpoints to identify/eliminate a ground loop (unsuccessfully), I just gave in and have reverted to using the 3.5mm output again. It's annoying to unplug when I switch monitor inputs, but the clarity is noticeably superior to the USB-C audio, even when it doesn't crackles and pop.
Yeah - I gave up too. Very disappointed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.