Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
I wonder if someone can help me please ? I am trying to set u a static IP address as opposed to the dynamic one I have , so that I can configure my port forwarding bit the problem is the screen captures on port forward.com demonstrating how to do this on a mac are different , whether they're old ones I dont know, I wonder if anyone can do this and give me the instructions please ? I'm using a 2012 macbook pro with Mavericks installed

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
O

That's just it it's a superhub from virginmedia. I asked them over the phone and they want me to pay some extortionate price to tell me via their digital team cos they say they are t trained to help me only trained in supplying internet and their own devices lol

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
That's just it it's a superhub from virginmedia. I asked them over the phone and they want me to pay some extortionate price to tell me via their digital team cos they say they are t trained to help me only trained in supplying internet and their own devices lol

You can't simply give yourself a static IP address; the ISP must configure one. You're stuck paying whatever your ISP charges.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm confused. For port forwarding (local) the static IP would have to be the local IP on the device you want to the forwarding to reach...not the IP assigned by your internet provider.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
We'll how is it it shows you how to configure one on port forward.com?

You can set up a static IP address for any device on your internal network, but that won't be a static address on the internet side. Only the ISP can configure that.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You can get a dynamic DNS static hostname at sites such as noip.com. I use that service to connect to a VPN on my office computer...in conjunction with a static local IP on my office network and port forwarding on my office router.

If that's the kind of thing you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.