Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spamurai

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
England
So I bought a coolio microphone but it uses a jack for connectivity... thus if the computer doesn't output enough power, it needs phantom power, or a power source etc. Fortunately it came with a usb connector which pulls power from the USB (like a usb mic) and powers it... unfortunately, whenever I record, it get TERRIBLE amounts of static, in fact, it's just constant...

I've tested a few things, and it's not the mic, or anything to do with the line-in (that I can find anyway, I could be wrong)...

If I leave the USB connector in, but don't plug the mic into it, and press record in Audacity, I still get constant static, even though there's no mic connected to take audio... which tells me its something to do with the system, not the mic or usb connector...

Any ideas? I tested it in Garageband too and had the same problem.
What might a solution be? Thanks.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I can't find information on the coolio microphone (coolio is a rap artist?), I'm presuming you have a microphone with an XLR connector which you connect to a USB-powered (vs AC) pre-amp which also provides phantom power which you connect via USB to the computer. Correct me if I'm wrong. If what I presumed is correct, I would suspect it's the pre-amp. I looked at some reviews of USB-powered pre-amps that provide phantom power and a common complaint among those who had negative reviews was noise. The test you should do is recording something without the pre-amp connected. If you get the same noise recording without the pre-amp connected, then it's something in the computer. It could also be the combination of the computer and the pre-amp. You might want to try connecting the pre-amp to a powered USB hub if you have one and see what happens. This is a good starting point. Hopefully somebody with a lot of experience with this type of recording will respond with further steps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.