Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deepy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
I know theres a post on this somewhere but I just cant find it. I want my wireless connection to stay connected when I shud the lid of my macbook (thats when its sleepin right?). I thnk I even remember someone saying it wasnt possible but I wonder if someones found a way now?

Thanks

deepy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
apachie2k said:
not healty....i wouldn't know anyways sorry...but really not a good idea....tooo much heat...

good point...some how, sittin with a really really hot laptop infront of me i didnt realise that itd b too hot? lol

apachie2k

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
was NYC...now MIAMI
ummm... to do what your asking, i'm pretty sure you would have to leave it on, and if your going to leave it on with the lid closed, heat can rise from the keyboard, and ruin ure lcd... so i really dun recomend it, even then i don't know how to do it:(

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
apachie2k said:
that's a great idea! ( i do it too)
alot of people i know do it, tho the funny part is
when i first got my ibook i had no idea how to turn down the brightness so i would stack about 30 sheets of paper in front of the screen so i could sleep
next to it, this was the same time i was using dialup

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
elisha cuthbert said:
when i first got my ibook i had no idea how to turn down the brightness so i would stack about 30 sheets of paper in front of the screen so i could sleep

You didn't want to go the easy way and just SHUT IT DOWN?? :eek:

Anyways, this is an old issue that I wouldn't be concerned with. On Apple's website, it says that both MB and MBP support clamshell mode (working when lid is down), so...
To do it you need to enable clamshell mode. If you open System Profiler, you can see somewhere that 'clamshell mode' is not enabled, but I don't honestly know how to enable it without making some sort of uncool hack... :confused:

deepy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Lol the only reason I cared about doin this was because I have a tendancy to close it when i'm not using it or walkin around my house with it.. and it would be nice for it not go log out of msn messenger whilst i'm doing so.

When I'm back at university theres full wifi on campus so whilst walking around, if theres a connection, wud be nice for it to stay connected and online on msn incase i get any msgs.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
deepy said:
Lol the only reason I cared about doin this was because I have a tendancy to close it when i'm not using it or walkin around my house with it.. and it would be nice for it not go log out of msn messenger whilst i'm doing so.

When I'm back at university theres full wifi on campus so whilst walking around, if theres a connection, wud be nice for it to stay connected and online on msn incase i get any msgs.

You "can" I believe use a macbook while the lid is closed but you have to have a mouse and keyboard connected to it, and it has to be connected to an external screen. (People correct me if i'm wrong - I know you can do it on the MBP)

Even if you could leave the unit running while you had it in a backpack or something it would be a bad thing to do. Any jolts or tips to the harddrive will cause faults and scratches. Even imagine if you left a simple CD in the drive...*shiver*

mac4drew

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2003
California
Maxiseller said:
You "can" I believe use a macbook while the lid is closed but you have to have a mouse and keyboard connected to it, and it has to be connected to an external screen. (People correct me if i'm wrong - I know you can do it on the MBP)

Yeah, that's how you turn clamshell mode on. No hacking required, just a few things plugged in.

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
elisha cuthbert said:

Brilliant. ;)

Sequence

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2006
There's a program called "InsomniaX" that is a Universal Binary and it allows you to close the lid and keep the Macbook / MBP from sleeping. Works great when you use your Macbook as an alarm clock or when it's plugged on a TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.