Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DenisK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
I am a content-creator user: Word, PPT, Pages, Keynote, Excel, Final Cut, Mail, trying to avoid Adobe but often have to resort. Teams. My MBP is 2018, maxed out at 6 core i7 and 32gigs of RAM. I have a 4K external screen for added real estate, often just use it with an HD external screen... I read a lot of bad rap on the newer M-oriented OS's and just stuck with Catalina as it just works. Except I started to have hiccups in Photos (hate to move to Lightroom but I feel its inevitable yet hate it for having to double down on processeses)... I have an Apple Watch 3 and a plethora of iPads and iPhones. So my question is: should I move up and if so, is that Ventura?

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Here's the problem with Catalina: many new versions of apps don't work on it anymore, even though it seems like they just did (gosh time flies!) So you might run into compatibility issues there. As far as upgrading, I'd just upgrade to Monterey for now... it seems like you want a stable experience, which Monterey provides. Although I use Ventura, it does have its issues—so maybe hold off for now. But I'm also an "early adopter" when it comes to software—I download the latest versions right away.

Reactions: DenisK

DenisK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Here's the problem with Catalina: many new versions of apps don't work on it anymore, even though it seems like they just did (gosh time flies!) So you might run into compatibility issues there. As far as upgrading, I'd just upgrade to Monterey for now... it seems like you want a stable experience, which Monterey provides. Although I use Ventura, it does have its issues—so maybe hold off for now. But I'm also an "early adopter" when it comes to software—I download the latest versions right away.
Thanks for the tip! Is a clean install still the best practice?

Reactions: loby and rm5

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I have an 32 GB RAM i9 MacBook Pro 2018 and it runs really good on Ventura. I also am a Content Creator and use Final Cut as my main app. Though my MacBook Pro 2018 is no longer my main computer, when I still use it, it seems to do well on Ventura. I would try out Monterrey and Ventura on your system and see how it goes. if you have a backup of your current system, doesn't hurt to try. If you don't like it, you can always go back to Catalina for a vacation. :)

Reactions: DenisK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.