Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Understood. However there's nothing there to draw your attention to that area as opposed to the home button messing with my OCD with all sorts of smudges outside of the circle.

Gestures were an unexpected surprise. They easily beat having to rely on the home button for everything.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Gestures were an unexpected surprise. They easily beat having to rely on the home button for everything.

I think 3D Touch was more intuitive than whatever the X and up are pulling off. I only use the home button to, well, go home and unlock my phone with one tap. I find myself pulling up the recent app switcher more often with 3D Touch one-handed than consistently trying to successfully pull it off on my iPad. At least on the iPad they're optional.

I remember the first time I played with an iPhone X. I was using Android Pie then, and on them you just tapped the pill to go home--made perfect sense. I couldn't figure out how to do it on the X though. I ended up having to 'Hey Siri Go Home!' and it happened. I literally couldn't figure out what it wanted me to do.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
People need to give-up on 3D Touch. It's functionality still exists, and based from the removal of it we got much larger batteries.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
People need to give-up on 3D Touch. It's functionality still exists, and based from the removal of it we got much larger batteries.

Why do people need to give up on it? Has the technology had some fault and suddenly it can’t be produced anymore or has Apple just not found the right mix in the product to have both good battery life and 3D Touch?

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
So long as my 6S continues to work I don't have to worry about giving it up anytime soon. It's far more intuitive than whatever mess the X and up are attempting--none of them feel right.

Also batteries have never been an issue with any Apple device. Android continues to throw massive batteries at their own problem with hardly any change. iOS isn't a battery hog the way Android is after you install 30+ apps.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Mine must have missed out then. Still getting far better battery than any Android phone I've owned. I never could go through an 8 hour work day on any Android phone (latest was Moto G7 and Galaxy S8 before it) without it getting too hot to comfortably keep in a pocket. It was usually dead two hours before it was time to leave. unacceptable to me.

Also, let me know if any laptop running Windows can have a battery still holding a usable charge after 20 years like my PowerBook G4 can.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Why do people need to give up on it? Has the technology had some fault and suddenly it can’t be produced anymore or has Apple just not found the right mix in the product to have both good battery life and 3D Touch?
Because Apple isn’t bringing 3D Touch back.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I recently got a XS and I’m really enjoying it more than I thought I would. The smaller size is surprisingly not an issue (I prefer larger phones), and everything about this phone is such an upgrade in comparison to my iPhone 8 Plus. I plan to keep this phone for three years. Phones are too expensive, and I can’t imagine what would compel me to upgrade to a new iPhone sooner than three years. Perhaps Pencil support, but I have an iPad for that. ?‍♀️

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Is there anyone here who is not on IUP and went from Xs Max to 11 Pro Max!?

Just curious.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Is there anyone here who is not on IUP and went from Xs Max to 11 Pro Max!?

Just curious.
Man it me it just seems you’re really trying to justify keeping with your Xs max lol. If you really wanna upgrade that badly and have the income them no one is stopping you from doing it lol.

Reactions: JagRunner

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Man it me it just seems you’re really trying to justify keeping with your Xs max lol. If you really wanna upgrade that badly and have the income them no one is stopping you from doing it lol.

Just cause you can doesn't mean you should. That doesn't mean I can't still want to either.

The recurring theme I've tried to highlight is RESTRAINT/SELF-DEPRAVATION. There's an intrinsic value in those things too you know.

Apple could have iPad run Mac OS, but they don't do that do they!? Life is a balancing act. Trying to be responsible while being happy is no small feat.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’ve always been someone who rationally weighs up my options and sticks to a decision. I wouldn’t employ people who are indecisive and impulsive and I make sure my personal buying choices are done with plenty of thought.

There is nothing wrong with not having the latest iPhone. You won’t be judged or looked down upon by anybody of any credibility. A phone is a phone and not an example of how wealthy or tech savvy you are. It’s simply a communication tool.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I’ve always been someone who rationally weighs up my options and sticks to a decision. I wouldn’t employ people who are indecisive and impulsive and I make sure my personal buying choices are done with plenty of thought.

There is nothing wrong with not having the latest iPhone. You won’t be judged or looked down upon by anybody of any credibility. A phone is a phone and not an example of how wealthy or tech savvy you are. It’s simply a communication tool.

THIS!

Research before you buy and enjoy it for what it is. In the meantime live your life and don’t obsess over what you don’t have. Don’t worry be happy ?.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Most years I'll sell it privately, but this time I gave my XS Max to my wife. It used to work really well financially because iPhones kept their value.

But at least in Canada, used prices have dropped (as a % of retail price) since the X. If I would have sold my XS Max when the 11 Pro came out, I would have gotten around $700 CAD ($536 USD), when I paid about $1750 for it with tax ($1340 USD). Probably the biggest drop I've seen.

The 11 Pro Max cost me $1950 with tax, so this was a more expensive year.

I remember selling my 6S for around $800 and getting the 7 for around $1050 or so. IIRC I sold the 7 for around $600, and the X cost me around $15xx.

Ok so do you trade your old phone in to Apple or sell it privately!?

Reactions: Wide opeN

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I can still get around $800 here in the US for my Xs Max. However, as the OP states I've decided to "stay the course" and get the most out of the $1300+ dollars I paid for my Xs Max.

There is no wrong or right. My only intention with this thread was to provide enlightenment for anyone weighing their options. That's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.