Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deathlok2001

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
SO, now that games like team fortress and 1/2 life are available on the mac, can the mini handle them? I might like to try some of these out. DO you have to Dl the entire game off this stream site? How does it work?

Or should one just get a Mac Pro with the 512 Radeon vid card and be done with it?

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Dude... you mean a MacBook Pro, right? Because, frankly, if you can afford a Mac Pro then the Mini was never designed for you...!!!

The 2010 Mini, I'm told, does a pretty solid (if unspectacular) job with 3D games. I'm running a 2009 Mini right now, and it plays Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Portal, Return to Castle Wolfenstein etc. pretty well, on medium-to-high settings. If the blurb is true, and the 320M is around twice as powerful as the 9400M... well, I reckon it'd be running these games on high-to-maximum settings.

As for Steam itself; yes, you download the whole game.

Deathlok2001

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Dude... you mean a MacBook Pro, right? Because, frankly, if you can afford a Mac Pro then the Mini was never designed for you...!!!

The 2010 Mini, I'm told, does a pretty solid (if unspectacular) job with 3D games. I'm running a 2009 Mini right now, and it plays Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Portal, Return to Castle Wolfenstein etc. pretty well, on medium-to-high settings. If the blurb is true, and the 320M is around twice as powerful as the 9400M... well, I reckon it'd be running these games on high-to-maximum settings.

As for Steam itself; yes, you download the whole game.

NO dude, I mean teh mac desktop Pro. The BIG KAHUNA!

I currently use a mirror door 867 dual G4 with a 256 Radeon vid card that leaves artifacts on the screen and the cd drive does not work. SO its time for an upgrade!

The REASON I am thinking of a Mac Mini is.... it will be a "go between" mac until APPLE updates the Mac Pro desktops. Then I can get one of those. I am going to use the 867 G4 as a non internet backup for photos and stuff.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Well, okay... if you've money to burn, I wouldn't mince about with the Mini!

Although, if you only want to run older Steam games, I reckon it can do the job just fine.

Ah, I see you've added to your post...

... well, sure. I mean, if you just want the Mini as a stop-gap, why not?

Deathlok2001

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Yes. Games I am interested in are older andinclude: Diablo 2, team fortress, Quake 4. Thats about it. Maybe Postal just because its so crazy!

What I really want is an new CARMAGEDDON GAME!!! I LOVED THAT GAME! (anything similar to it that it out?)

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
My early 09 Mini (2ghz 4gb 9400) runs Halflife2,portal and TF2 o.k I do tend to run it at 1680x1050 though. But to be honest I'm happy with it. I guess the new Mini should out perform my old one.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Oh, you'll be more than fine, then. I run Half-Life 2 at 1200-ish x whatever (16:9 ratio).

pugple

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
Because, frankly, if you can afford a Mac Pro then the Mini was never designed for you...!!!

What? Just because you can afford a Mac Pro doesn't mean the Mini wasn't designed for you at all. They're two different machines that fill different niches.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
They're two different machines that fill different niches.

Yes. Hence, my surprise at them being the two alternatives suggested by the OP - how can a person struggle to decide between two completely different things, that look different, perform different functions and cost radically different sums of money...? Whereas the MBP is substantially similar to the Mini in spec, only portable, which would make them more obvious bedfellows.

Furthermore; chill out. It was a semi-humorous comment. Hence, the exclamation marks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.