Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
got my LCD Steam Deck almost exactly a year ago... time flies
and I upgraded it to 1tb

really tempted for the screen and lots of other smaller enhancements (lighter by 30g, wifi 6 (don't have 6E but better than 5), improved joysticks, and 6nm and better battery life / cooler temps) but might have to offload mine first.

Reactions: txa1265

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I'm too much of a sucker, was going to sell my Deck but now thinking of selling it for the OLED model. We'll see though.

• Haha
Reactions: thadoggfather

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
Waiting for Switch 2... or if Nintendo is smart.. An Apple TV with full Nintendo game console support including all retro console cartridge... Every Nintendo game on a single console!

One can dream right? What a wonderful world that would be :D

Reactions: bousozoku

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Meh I'm holding off for now (today anyway). I REALLY need to save and get a new Mac, need to resist all these damn shiny toys lol. To be honest I'll probably end up buying the OLED model in the next week....

I am interested to know the difference between the etched glass and none etched glass models with that OLED screen.

Last edited:

Amishpriest

macrumors member
May 15, 2022
Montgomery Village, MD
I'm actually super tempted to, even though it maybe isn't the best idea :p. I've been pretty happy with my Deck, though it's a 64 gb model because I was cheap. Even 512 gb internal would be MUCH better, but $550 isn't exactly cheap.

Amishpriest

macrumors member
May 15, 2022
Montgomery Village, MD
My OLED 512 just showed up last night. I'm coming from an LCD deck, and so far in my limited time the OLED is indeed a big improvement in just display quality alone (and no dead pixels for me :D).

Of course, I've just played Slay the Spire on it so far lol. Would love to play BG3, but it might be awhile for that...

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
I picked up the OLED 1TB LE model and absolutely love it.

It is a fantastic revision of the previous model. And cheers to Valve for having the stock for whoever wanted to obtain one. Even the LE was up for almost an entire week before finally selling out.

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I'm new to the deck but I ordered the OLED 512 GB version which should arrive today - pretty excited and I think it fits my use as I enjoy playing PC games via Steam.

Interested to see how BG3 runs on it.

The glossy OLED is beautiful to my eyes ! It’s perfect

Reactions: Isengardtom

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Has anyone bought a Steam Deck and not really used it?
Not sure if I want it just to have it or if I would actually use it.
I have a gaming comp. that I use for gaming for maybe 1-2 hours a month.
I tell myself it's because I rather play in bed but not sure how valid that reason is.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I tell myself it's because I rather play in bed but not sure how valid that reason is.
back in the day sold Xbox series s exactly for this reason: 1-2hr use in a month didn’t feel like justified.

This time moved to Nintendo switch, i will probably score 3-4 hrs a month with this one just because it is usable in bed. So this one is a keeper for sure.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I personally use mine much more than my fairly new gaming pc
It‘s nice to just use the deck on the couch or in bed or on the train like last weekend.
id say I use the desktop pc about 1-2 hours a week and the steam deck about 1-2 hours a day

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I personally use mine much more than my fairly new gaming pc
It‘s nice to just use the deck on the couch or in bed or on the train like last weekend.
id say I use the desktop pc about 1-2 hours a week and the steam deck about 1-2 hours a day

I'm surprised by the amount of people who sold their rigs and defaulted to Steam Decks. That level of convenience is too good to ignore.

txa1265

Suspended
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
(There is a thread about Steam Deck on the Mac & PC Games forum - https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...c.2304373/page-12?post=32755601#post-32755601 )

I got my LCD Steam Deck right when Valve started shipping, so about 1.5 years. The Deck has absolutely taken over my gaming - I gave away my gaming laptop last year and no regrets. I grabbed the 1TB OLED Deck and so far am enjoying it quite a bit.

I was in the middle of Cyberpunk 2077 (OK, about 85 hours now!), so I have kept playing that on the LCD and started other games (Boiling Point, Redfall, and now Lamplighter's League) on the OLED. So I don't have a truly direct comparison.

txa1265

Suspended
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
So I have now completely moved to the OLED Deck ... and it is astounding all the ways it is better than the original.

I moved my replay of Cyberpunk to the OLED Deck and it looks and plays better and has better battery life. Also installed Starfield and W40k Rogue Trader as well as the others mentioned ... so I will be set for a while!

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
I ended up returning mine. Realized I was watching too many videos trying to validate my purchase when in reality I had no desire to really play games.

Reactions: txa1265

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
After a couple of weeks with my OLED, I'm still very impressed. Haven't played anything too intensive, but I've basically had no hardware issues at all.

me too! my (Samsung) screen is perfect: uniform no mura or dead pixels

it looks stunning

I'm loving the extended battery life and the quieter fan its really a great v2 of a device imo

Love the new joystick caps too, much better than dbrand add on and especially better than the stock caps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.