Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Steam has died on me today, I have spent all day trying to get it to work under Bootcamp/windows 7, It was working OK until this morning, now I keep getting this error -

Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again.

I have been on Steam via my Mac account to find an answer and have followed many peoples answers to sort this out all to no avail, even the things Steam have told them to do, I have uninstalled and reinstalled to avail.

No matter what I do I just getting the error above.

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Have you reached out to Valve/Steam directly for some insight?

Yup, raised a ticket with support, as yet no response other than an automated one with links to faqs pertaining to solve the problem which they do not.

I have said this all along regarding DRM and game clients, if the client goes rougue on your machine then it is bye bye software, I am now done with it. I just hung around with the few games I had from the start and a couple of later ones. Now I have none that I have paid for as I no longer use Mac Steam (My choice) and now the Windows one has gone rougue, I spent a whole day and evening trying everything I could find about my issue to no avail, all this DRM is a total joke, I for one have had my fair share of troubles from client based/DRM software, I have had enough.

Last edited:

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Steam has died on me today, I have spent all day trying to get it to work under Bootcamp/windows 7, It was working OK until this morning, now I keep getting this error -

Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again.

I have been on Steam via my Mac account to find an answer and have followed many peoples answers to sort this out all to no avail, even the things Steam have told them to do, I have uninstalled and reinstalled to avail.

No matter what I do I just getting the error above.

About once every thee months, I get a similar problem. No matter what I do, Steam just doesn't connect.

The only way how I am able to fix it, is to log-in on the Steam website and then run the Steam App. Voila!:)

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
About once every thee months, I get a similar problem. No matter what I do, Steam just doesn't connect.

The only way how I am able to fix it, is to log-in on the Steam website and then run the Steam App. Voila!:)

Nope did not work for me.

Steam starts the install then goes to a window saying updating and the incoming KB is all the place, it starts going up, then drops, starts going up again, drops again sometimes to zero, it keeps doing this until I get the check your network connection error, and there it all stops.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I run Steam in Windows 7. Here is a thought. Download Steam and install it somewhere else than your current install. See if it will launch and update. If it does, then you can merge the Steam installs by either moving yours SteamApps folder (a folder where your game content is kept inside of the steam folder) over to the version that works.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I run Steam in Windows 7. Here is a thought. Download Steam and install it somewhere else than your current install. See if it will launch and update. If it does, then you can merge the Steam installs by either moving yours SteamApps folder (a folder where your game content is kept inside of the steam folder) over to the version that works.

Tried that, just the the same, tells me Steam needs to be online to update, so it will not even install somewhere else.

Just realised that when Steam all went wrong it was in Offline mode.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Tried that, just the the same, tells me Steam needs to be online to update, so it will not even install somewhere else.

Just realised that when Steam all went wrong it was in Offline mode.

I assume you've read and tried something like Steam Forum?

I found this comment interesting:
This is one reason not to have a game client in your Windows Startup. As what will happen on most machines is, your internet connection might not be fully connected before the game client launches, thus the game client will end up launching in Off-Line Mode. So it is best to let your desktop and internet connection fully load, then launch the game client u wish to use.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I assume you've read and tried something like Steam Forum?

I have read loads of things on the Steam forums, I am in the position where I have deleted the Steam client and trying to re install, It will not finish the installation because it keeps telling me it needs to be online to do an update.

AAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Try this one. You are going to go into the registry using "regedit" and find the setting for Steam and change it from a "1" to a "0" to put it into online mode:

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-fix-steam-stuck-offline-mode-problem-12231192.html.

After you do this, reboot Windows.

HOW TO FIX STEAM

To sum up the problem, Steam's Registry file gets stuck in Offline mode, you will have to manually fix it. I found this out the long hard way by digging around the net and searching my computer for several days, but you should be able to fix the problem in about five minutes.

Alright soldier, put your goggles on and gather your tools, it's time to go to work.
Here's how to fix Steam being stuck in Offline mode-

1. Boot up your computer in safe mode (I wrote a guide for Windows 8 users here).

2. Open your "Run" command line. I will assume you know how.

3. Use "Run" and type in "regedit". A new window will pop up.

4. This part is different for some people. Go to "Current User", or anything on that line. Some times it is under "Valued user".

5. Find "Software" and click it.

6. Next find the folder "Steam", for some people it is under "Valve" then click on "Steam".

7. On the right side Look for "Offline", it is a REG_Dword file. The value will be set to "1".

8. Double click on the words "Offline" and change the value data to "0" (Zero). Click OK.

9. Reboot computer and exit safe mode. Boot up like normal and open Steam.

10. Steam should open without any problems and connect online because you told it to stay that way in the Registry file. PROBLEM FIXED.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you don't do the above steps in Safe mode sometimes Steam will force the Registry file back into "Offline mode" with the value set to 1 and it won't work, so make sure to reboot in safe mode, follow the above steps, then reboot and exit safe mode to test it. Sometimes deleting the .Blob file also helps, but I didn't need to do it to fix my exact problem.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Booted into safemode, done regedit, found steam on the left, but this option is not on the right.......

7. On the right side Look for "Offline", it is a REG_Dword file. The value will be set to "1".

So thanks for all that but still no go I am afraid.

Think this only works for a fully installed steam client.

I have also tried ccleaner, still no go.

I have even restored bootcamp from a winclone backup from when Steam was working, guess what it refused to work, it was at that point I uninstalled steam and tried to reinstall.

I wonder if bootcamp and or Mavericks has anything to do with this ?

Last edited:

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
I have even restored bootcamp from a winclone backup from when Steam was working, guess what it refused to work, it was at that point I uninstalled steam and tried to reinstall.

If it still isn't working, it may be:

A) Your router's firewall is blocking steam connections.

B) Your system's firewall is blocking steam connections

C) There's a major connectivity issue between your ISP and steam.

or

D) (not likely) Your account was deactivated due to suspected fraud or something, and it's giving a bad message.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
If it still isn't working, it may be:

A) Your router's firewall is blocking steam connections.

B) Your system's firewall is blocking steam connections

C) There's a major connectivity issue between your ISP and steam.

or

D) (not likely) Your account was deactivated due to suspected fraud or something, and it's giving a bad message.

A) Checked router all OK.

B) System firewall checked, all OK, with an exception for steam.

C) Mac steam is working fine so that cannot be the case.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Booted into safemode, done regedit, found steam on the left, but this option is not on the right.......

So thanks for all that but still no go I am afraid.

Think this only works for a fully installed steam client.

I have also tried ccleaner, still no go.

I wonder if bootcamp and or Mavericks has anything to do with this ?

It's possible but this issue exists on the PC side with OSX no where in sight so hard to say.

Have you tried this one?
Are you getting some kind of error message or prompt, if so what is it?

Install with an Admin-level account and/or set the file to run with Admin-level privileges.

Or, it could be you have your Windows security settings too high. In that case, you might try temporarily lowering them by opening up Windows Control Panel, Action Center - Change User Account Control Settings, then temporarily set the security slider-thingy to a lower level (or off), then see if you can install.

If all goes okay, you can then raise up your User Account Control Settings back to where you like it.

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Thanks to all who tried to resolve my problem with Steam not installing under Windows, I think it is a lost cause and can really no longer be bothered with trying to get it to work, Steam.

I am really really glad I am not a Windows user, complete nightmare, I only set it up to play certain games. In future I will try getting any Windows games I want to play under a wrapper of some description.

Bye Bye Steam not nice knowing you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.