Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
So, after the latest Monterey update the login for Steam is blank on my 16 inch M1 Max. the login dialogue comes up, but is blank... Can't login on my mac, but can login in Parallels on Win 11. Anyone else having this issue?

Attachments

• 2022-08-23_11-31-18.jpg
    2022-08-23_11-31-18.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 280
Reactions: Irishman

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
So, after the latest Monterey update the login for Steam is blank on my 16 inch M1 Max. the login dialogue comes up, but is blank... Can't login on my mac, but can login in Parallels on Win 11. Anyone else having this issue?

I’m not trying to be a jerk or anything, have you thought about reaching out to Steam and Apple support to see if it’s a known issue? It is a beta after all.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
I’m not trying to be a jerk or anything, have you thought about reaching out to Steam and Apple support to see if it’s a known issue? It is a beta after all.
Yeah, but Steam pointed me at their 'normal' troubleshooting steps, all of which I have done. then asked if I was on a 'mixed case' file system. Never mind I had told them I have been a happy Steam user for years, and it only started being an issue when I updated Monterey... Have not heard back from then since I indicated I was on APFS. Have not, though, tried Apple... Will do that at this point.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
OK, so more detail. Steam support said to completely delete all Steam except for /SteamApps from User/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Steam. Then completely reinstall Steam. did that, the first time no change, so deleted all again and rebooted. Second time the login dialogue still came up blank, but at least I could type into the boxes (couldn't see what I typed, but...). Succesful login, then got the 'security code' message, though that box too was blank was able to get past it and Steam started up... Able to play now. See attached screen captures of the symptoms. When I first started a game, the 'synching' box was also blank, but so far so good.

Attachments

• 2022-08-25_20-35-13.jpg
    2022-08-25_20-35-13.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 2022-08-25_20-39-35.jpg
    2022-08-25_20-39-35.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 75

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Could be a font conflict, maybe check in Font Book if you have some duplicated fonts or something like that.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
Could be a font conflict, maybe check in Font Book if you have some duplicated fonts or something like that.
Thanks, I expect it is something along that line. Not sure how simply updating Monterey could have caused it, but.... Sadly Steam support 'could not replicate the problem', so closed out the support ticket. Now am back to the 'cannot login' problem. When I put my user/pw in the (blank) login dialogue, even though I can't see the text, when I hit enter I get a red box which likely means it is not recognizing something, but I can't tell what. My userid and password work fine with Steam in Parallels. Sigh.

Attachments

• 2022-08-29_14-44-21.jpg
    2022-08-29_14-44-21.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 86

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
Definitely weird. My steam login page is fine. I usually have auto login, but I logged out and my screen was fine.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
Definitely weird. My steam login page is fine. I usually have auto login, but I logged out and my screen was fine.
Yeah, seems isolated to my MBP. Not sure, at this point, how to debug it. Since Steam couldn't replicate it, and no one on this board is reporting it either, may just have to start using Parallels for my game playing... Sigh.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
So, chatted with Apple support and they walked me through safe mode to test. Seems I had been doing safe mode wrong and not actually getting into 'safe mode'. When I did that, the Steam client loaded normally, so something is getting loaded that is interfering with the client. Strange that it only happened after the Monterey update last week. Now have to hunt for whatever is getting loaded in normal mode, though I have no login startups.

EDIT: So, restarted, after (per apple support instructions) 'staying in safe mode' for at least 2 minutes. After the restart, though I have changed nothing, all seems to be back to normal. Very strange....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.