Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Europe
So I wanted to try out some Windows games on GPTK and see for myself what works and what doesn't.

Since Steam on Mac doesn't allow us to download Windows games (which is stupid, many old games have a source port but require the original game files) I installed Whisky and then the Windows Steam client (which Steam graciously allows us to download on a Mac).

Steam in Whisky works, until it doesn't. I can log in, browse, and do stuff, but several times when I started downloading games it worked for a couple of minutes and then got stuck. In the middle of a download the d/l rate goes to 0 and it just stays there, even after pausing/unpausing the download.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Basic75

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Europe
The downloads are working again after stopping and starting Whisky, at least for now, but there are other weird issues. Whisky suddenly sees two Steam apps. On one launch of Steam the Steam window kept escaping from my mouse pointer. Perhaps all of this isn't quite ready yet.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
FWIW, it's working for me.
I use Whiskey app and the Windows version of Steam (I also have the Mac version of Steam installed on the same Mac Studio - I assume that would not have any effect).
Got games like Quake 1 and 2 (the re-mastered ones) working perfectly. I also tried one or two others, and they installed fine for me in my Whisky Windows 10 "jar" (not all games run well though)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.