Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mslilyelise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2021
British Columbia, Canada
Hey folks. Hoping you can help me out here.

A few weeks ago Steam started crashing to the "Quit Unexpectedly" screen on my MacBook, unable to even launch the browser. I removed it, cleared out the remaining files, reinstalled it, no dice. So I went to try it on the iMac, same deal, same crash. Then I booted into the High Sierra partition I keep on the iMac and it DID launch, once. Then it updated itself, and is now crashing in the same manner both my Catalina installs are.

I then burnt the MacBook's install to the ground and started fresh. Didn't restore from a backup. Just connected my iCloud and spent most of the day downloading and installing apps and setting up my workspace on here again. This was a fresh Catalina install using dosdude's patcher. And every app is working on the MacBook, including a few that somehow didn't before, like FB Messenger. But Steam is still crashing without making it to the launcher.

I'm kinda at a loss. When Steam WAS working on the High Sierra install on the iMac, I could access and play lots of my low-spec games no problem, but after updating, it's bricked, just like the Catalina installs are. Hoping y'all could point me in the right direction troubleshooting wise here. It seems like Steam may have pulled some kind of necessary support for these older Macs and is now just refusing to run? Neither of these machines support Metal, thought maybe that could be it. They're also running patched versions of macOS, so I figure okay, maybe something just isn't working anymore with the patcher. Which would hold water, except that the High Sierra install, which I did with a fresh installer from Apple, no patches, in early 2021, no longer works either.

Any help is massively appreciated. I've screen capped the error for you, and have the full text available as a copy/paste if you need it. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 1.17.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 1.17.10 PM.png
    509.1 KB · Views: 317

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Sorry you're having issues with it. I don’t run Steam any more on my Mac and have no clue. I would think as a purchaser of Steam games for your Mac, this would be very frustrating.

Reactions: mslilyelise

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Huh. Wish I could give some advice - Steam is working fine on my M1 MBA under Catalina. The client was built on Dec 16th 2021, package version 1639697812.

Reactions: mslilyelise

mslilyelise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2021
British Columbia, Canada
Hey folks, thanks for the ideas. Made sure BETA was off. Couldn't get it to work, and very strange that I had the error on two different systems and in two versions of macOS.

I didn't find a solution to the problem itself; I just switched from DosDude's Catalina patch to OpenCore Legacy, so now I'm running Big Sur on the MacBook, and Steam works perfectly now. So, no idea what actually fixed it, but at least it works again. Not sure "switch to OpenCore Legacy and nuke your current system" is a great troubleshooting step, but hey, it worked.

• Love
Reactions: Homy and Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.