Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rfrakes03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
Hey there im trying to get steam to work on my macbook pro.
It used to work and for some reason now it comes up with an error and wont let me open it. Then when i try to delete it to uninstall it but it says "cannot be deleted ipc server is still in use"

someone please tell me what to do i would love to play counterstrike soon....

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
You have provided zero useful information.
What is the error you are getting when trying to launch steam?

You say you are trying to delete, how are you doing so? just draging the app to the trash?
Try deleteing the folder in the folder in the libraries directory as well.. Also make sure that steam is NOT running. -Force quit it, and launch activity monitor to make sure it is not running.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
restart your computer or open up Terminal.app and type killall ipcserver. Then you should be able to empty the trash.

rollinjammo

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2012
Steam fm 2012

What the hell is going on with Steam and FM2012?? was told to del Steam and reinstall it and now keeps saying " Steam needs to be online to update, but was set to offline" and i cant get to change that option, also when now trying to del from trash it says " The operation can’t be completed because the item “ipcserver” is in use."

WTF any help please??

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Ipcserver is used by Steam to make Steam games talk to the Steam program. You will only see it on Steam.

From what I can gather, Mac OS X has fairly good support for inter-process communication. The use of the ipcserver program is just a lazy way Steam does it.

iraebrasil

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
This is 10 years later and little is known why they keep using it. I would guess games write against the API so they can't remove it.

I used `launchctl remove com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool` to stop it running. It was a persistent intel process on my M1 mac. No thanks. I barely use steam on Mac, I use it mostly for chatting when I am away from my windows computer. Apparently anything rosetta2 does goes to performance cores, so this could spend more battery than it should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.