Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
OMG!! Anyone watching? lol. But I think with his sense of opposite-ness I think that's a good thing.

Colbert's FORTRAN joke...totally unprecedented.

Satire is, sadly, a very under-utilized and misunderstood form of comedy and social commentary. I see guys like Stewart and Colbert as the Jonathan Swifts of our time. Of course, Swift was much more subtle because he didn't want to get this head lopped off. Colbert, on the other hand, insulted the President to his face over and over. I still love the guy, but let's be honest, his show is a little over-the-top and sometimes a bit slow.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I really don't enjoy the Daily Show as much as i used to. It is tiring and frankly Jon Stewart is the one to blame (for me). His jokes are tacky and leave a bad taste in his mouth, yet he manages to ruin them even more by laughing in the middle of them. The point of being a satirist is having subtlety, and when the host can't manage to do that it will fail. The second failure is just that Jon Stewart is terrible at interviewing, he simply puts me to sleep (luckily i record it on my DVR and fast forward :) ). The third failure of the Daily Show recently is lousy replacement casting. Asif Mandvi and Rob Riggle are just God-awful and painful to watch. The only true humor i find anymore on that show is investigative reporting with Jason Jones, Back in Black, or when John Hodgeman comes on for a bit.

This is where i find the Colbert Report to be superior. Though when he brings in outside references like that black business man guy it is lousy, he has such a better manner about him that he trumps all. The humor isn't forced jokes, it is true satire because there is rarely EVER a slip up. Also the variety on the Colbert Report is much better, tip of the hat.., threatdown, the thing where he debates his mirror, better know a district, the list goes on. And to top it all off he excels at interviews.

To me it's really no contest, he destroys Jon Stewart :p

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Colbert report is ok (the word is usually the only funny part)
The daily show is hilarious, but it isn't as good as it used to be. It was at its best when they had Hodgeman appearing semi-regularly, along with Ed Helms, Stephen Colbert, and Rob Cordry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.