Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northernleitz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Rural Alaska
Was wondering if anyone could steer me in the direction of a truly large two-channel home amplifier with adaptor in/out. I connect my computer to my home stereo, which I have a lot of money invested in. Listening to iTunes is a lot more fun on a good system than on multimedia speakers. And where I live, there's no radio station in range, so all I need is the amp. No tuner. Suggestions?

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
Yes, here you go.

Thor Audio

Only $24.000 For a pair of monoblocks.

Actually, if you are good with, or are willing to learn how to, solder, You can build your own tube amplifiers. I have built several single ended tube amplifiers and preamps. Its really not to hard, and not too expencive.

Check these guys out
BottleHead

I just finnished their S.E.X. headphone amp, it was lots of fun and not too hard to build. And to top it off it sounds Killer.

Attachments

• reg_tpa150.jpg
    reg_tpa150.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 173
  • sexnude.jpg
    sexnude.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,521
  • SEXfront2_filtered.jpg
    SEXfront2_filtered.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 184

northernleitz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Rural Alaska
RandomDeadHead said:
Actually, if you are good with, or are willing to learn how to, solder, You can build your own tube amplifiers. I have built several single ended tube amplifiers and preamps. Its really not to hard, and not too expencive.

Check these guys out
BottleHead

I just finnished their S.E.X. headphone amp, it was lots of fun and not too hard to build. And to top it off it sounds Killer.

Hmm, I was hoping for something solid-state, as they used to say. And although that amp certainly looks nice, I'd rather find something, say, under 20,000 bucks... like 19,000 under 20,000.

Got a couple of Bose 901 Series III speakers. Was hoping I could find something in the range of 400 watts per channel.

northernleitz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Rural Alaska
The LP pre-amp looked interesting, and I do need one of those, but the honkin' big amp is a more pressing concern. My old amp, which was 150 watts times two, has died.

I guess I could eBay for a pro PA amp... that would make the neighbors happy.

Thanks for the tip. Some of those amps look like fun projects.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
Check out http://www.mcintoshlabs.com McIntosh amps rock!!! they have some 'new' style solid state amps, as well as some really good tube amps(better sounding in my opinion) not sure exactly how much they cost, but im guessing they are a little below 20000. but i think anything within your pricerange will be about the same. just go into best buy or wherever and see what theyve got. just get a big name brand, like sony, or JVC whoever like that.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
I have an Onkyo Integra 919 that I'm very happy with. I use it for home theater, and have had it for over 6 years with no blips whatsoever. Take a look at their products...very nice.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Try a Rotel RB1070 or 1080--terrific sound and a lot of power, esp. in the 1080. You could also try the Adcom 5500. Not sure the 901's can tell the difference, though...

Best,

Bob

Ino

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2005
How about...something that'll match a PM/PB/ACD quite nicely? :p

Haven't heard the iMP myself, but there are specs and quicktime movies on the website to checkout. I've got the sibling machine (guitar amp) and it sounds great!!

http://www.impamp.com

northernleitz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Rural Alaska
Anyone hear anything good, bad, or otherwise about Audio Source? I am looking at their "monoblock" single-channel 250-watt amps. I can buy two for $400, which seems like a nice, low price if my current stuff can serve as a pre-amp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.