Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
I have a stereo pair of HomePod minis. I bought them in early 2021 not long after they were first released, so they were running v14 of the HomePod OS and initially worked very well. Then in the late v14 or early v15 update cycle (late 2021 or early 2022, approximately) a bug was introduced which caused two major audio playback issues:

1. Music playback would gradually get out of sync between the pair, so after about an hour or so of playback one speaker would be 0.5-1s behind the other. Pausing and resuming playback would fix the issue but it would return after another hour or so.
2. When listening to an album or playlist, when one song ends and the next begins, about 1-2 seconds of the middle of the next track would play before the track began playing from the start.

I also noticed a general performance regression together with these bugs. For example when I first got the HomePod minis playback controls would reliably apprear automatically on my iPhone's lock screen, but this became less reliable over time and stopped altogether sometime after these bugs first began.

These bugs were finally fixed with the release of v17.0 and I also noticed an improvement in their performance and playback control reliability - but today I installed v17.4 and the first bug (music playback out of sync) has returned. I suspect I'll notice the second bug again soon but I haven't had enough time with them since the update to notice it yet.

I have reset them both and set them up again, which made no difference. I have opened multiple support cases with Apple which went nowhere. This is infuriating because presumably a problem was found and fixed but has now returned. I don't know what to expect from this post because this is a software bug, it can't be fixed with anything other than a software update, so a doubt there is any advice anybody can offer to help. But surely there must be a way to contact somebody on the HomePod dev team to report this? Or are we forever screaming into the void when it comes to these things?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
These things have been buggy nightmares for years, including the full sized ones. People will adamantly swear that it’s your WiFi, even though they were operating fine before an update and everything else on the network is working fine. That said, have you tried rebooting your router?

If all else fails, I supposed a Masters in network engineering from MIT wouldn’t hurt.

Anyways, I feel your pain. Worst product ever put out by Apple.

Reactions: Matt T

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Because Airplay is dog **** for anything other than short bursts. Cool in theory but would never want display or audio to utilize it because it will have sync issues or disconnect overtime guaranteed.

iSuzan

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2020
Germany
Are you using 2,4 ghz and 5 ghz with one SSID?

I had the problem a few times that my WLAN restarted and then one of the HP was then connected to the 5 ghz band the other to the 2,4 ghz band. And that caused all kinds of trouble. Especially they were not in sync.
Check if your Homepods are all in the same ghz band.

Reactions: Itinj24 and dotme

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Are you using 2,4 ghz and 5 ghz with one SSID?

I had the problem a few times that my WLAN restarted and then one of the HP was then connected to the 5 ghz band the other to the 2,4 ghz band. And that caused all kinds of trouble. Especially they were not in sync.
Check if your Homepods are all in the same ghz band.
Coming from eero, I’m in the middle of installing a UniFi system in my house with a bunch of hardwired AP’s and it lets you lock clients to a specific AP. Gonna see if it works. Installing specific AP’s close to the HomePods and locking them to it. Mind you I’m spending all this time and money just to try to get HomePods to work properly. Eero was sufficient for everything but the HomePods lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.