Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well deserved. With his vision and leadership, he revealed the best of what humanity has to offer. He changed the world.
The best of what ‘Humanity has to offer’?

Steve was was a genius, no doubt there. But he also had a very lengthy history of how he mistreated people in and out of the tech industry. To me, that doesn’t qualify as ‘The best of what humanity has to offer’, not when he was known to be volatile. So no, I don’t think your comment really coincides with how he truly was.

Dan From Canada

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2016
The guy might not have been Mr. Congeniality with strangers or even employees, but his capacity to lead multiple endeavours to world changing success, which is what the award acknowledges, is not in doubt. It seems he had very few close friends all of which miss him dearly AFAIK.

If you enjoy an Apple product, you probably enjoy his work and legacy, as Apple was months from bankruptcy at the time he came back and the world is truly different from what happened from the company going forward up until now.
In other words the medal was not for him being a nice person but an innovator.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
More empty platitudes from Cook extoling virtues about his predecessor that he clearly doesn't care about
Maybe Cook would have benefited from taking LSD like Jobs.

Although I can kind of picture Tim Cook taking LSD and being absolutely no different and continuing to talk about China, numbers, manufacturing, blah, blah, blah, completely sober.

Reactions: Naraxus

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Like others have said, I just wish he were alive to collect it. Kinda stings in a way. If Steve had ending up dying say at the end of this decade, it would still be sad, but you get a sense he would see everything come full circle especially explosion in growth and wealth of the company since 2011.

I got a iPhone 4 that was heading to ewaste recently and seeing him hold it is a reminder of it being the last product he actually worked on.

Reactions: Lioness~

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
The guy might not have been Mr. Congeniality with strangers or even employees, but his capacity to lead multiple endeavours to world changing success, which is what the award acknowledges, is not in doubt. It seems he had very few close friends all of which miss him dearly AFAIK.

If you enjoy an Apple product, you probably enjoy his work and legacy, as Apple was months from bankruptcy at the time he came back and the world is truly different from what happened from the company going forward up until now.
I am not sure why people think he should be mr popular or friends mattered as much to him.

He was different, he thought different and made a difference.

Reactions: Lioness~

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Here's what's wrong with a lot of people that I've seen mostly on Reddit, Twitter, and comments on YouTube: Why give Steve Jobs an award I heard somewhere that he was a meanie and hE dIDnT dO aNyThInG

An actual terrible rich guy makes memes on Twitter: "lul Elon funny man"

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Without him, I would not exist. Which is to say that although he didn’t design me, his founding of Apple allowed me to exist as a not-so-distant-but-ultimately-vaporware concept that would have caused to go into shock. None the less, great guy!
You must be really jealous of Siri.

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
Yes Steve has done a great job in enslaving our populations of the world to technology. I have met him a couple of times and I could never say he was a nice person.
There are people who simply don't have time for people who are not on their level of thought. It's just the way it is. It's not their fault that the "common man" feels slighted or insulted by their attitude towards them or their bruised egos.

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
Yes Steve has done a great job in enslaving our populations of the world to technology. I have met him a couple of times and I could never say he was a nice person.
I have to say that it seems that every day there are more and more people I wouldn’t say were nice. Included in that group would be those that speak ill of the dead, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.