Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voodoofish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
London
maybe i've just been being thick and missed this one before, but in a new CNET article, it says:

"Weren't you there during the discussions when IBM convinced Apple to adopt the G5?
Mayer: In my previous job, I ran IBM's semiconductor business. So I've seen both sides of the Apple story, because I sold the G5 to Steve (Jobs) the first time he wanted to move to Intel."

(emphasis mine)

i'd knew that they'd been building Mac OS X for intel since the beginning, but this interview makes it sound like steve has previously wanted to switch to intel but had been talked out of it by IBM....

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Steve Jobs said in the early days of Mac OS X that that Intel was being considered as a new processor source. I think he and Andy Grove were drinking it up and playing the "What would I do, if I were in control?" game and came to an agreement.

Anyway, it's done. It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
It's very possible. But I guess with IBM powering the new Xbox 360 with the PowerPC cores (oh the irony) I guess they figured they didn't feel like talking him out of moving again.

I'm excited about the intel switch aside from one thing. I wanted to see a G5 Powerbook. Oh well.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
It's logical enough that Intel was considered as an alternative before Apple adopted the G5. Apple has admitted that an x86 version of Mac OS X has been maintained internally since day one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.