Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
For most of my adult life, I've lived in congregate housing and I've always opened up my WiFi as a public service and never had problems. Yes, I know--I've been lucky.

Now that many routers are dual band, I am able to keep a secure network for myself and an open one for guests.

I do this for one reason--I deplore waste. No need for someone to spend $40/month for access when a neighbor has surplus capacity.

You are a goodhearted person. I wish more people had an attitude like you.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
My cable modem data transfer quota is way too low to let random people use it up for free. (Not to mention the security and liability issues.) No thanks.

You have a data transfer quota on your home internet?! :eek:

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Need better multi-network Wifi chips first that are able to connect to more than one Access Point at a time. If you've ever walked through a large location with multiple APs like an airport and hoped to have a podcast download complete without erroring out, you know the problem. If the mobile device could connect to all the networks (including cellular) and use them in a tiered or shared fashion to stream data up/down, then this would actually be a viable solution. I think that needs to be solved before it's worth having wifi everywhere that would be useful while walking anywhere.

One of the features of iOS 7, that Siri uses, which requires server support, is the ability to switch network interfaces for a socket connection, and have it seemlessly continue working. So, IP address changes, but same source and destination machines. It should be able to work for wifi IP address changes too, but not for every arbitrary website, just ones running special TCP/IP stacks that support this.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Like this? https://openwireless.org

Our entire neighborhood, everywhere you go in it, you are always online.

There were a few fearful holdouts at first, but after a couple years of fence-riding, they got on board and filled in the low spots.

Not surprising that many people who'd spend their time on a consumerism fansite wouldn't be able to see beyond their own immediate territorial possessiveness though. I me me mine...

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
The NSA would love for us to connect to free wifi everywhere.

Quite the opposite. The NSA, MPAA, RIAA, Comcast, etc much prefer you to be easily identified and tied to your own network. Then you have no defense when they drag you in front of a court and say an IP on your private network accessed content they don't approve of and you should be billed or incarcerated for it.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Really.

People working together for the common good, and not one of them will be a self serving thief. I just don't have that much faith in people.

The idea would be to make it secure, as in, a completely separate IP and connection to the Internet. If they tried to turn around and look at your computer or screw up your connection, that would be completely blocked on a hardware level. And heck, if torrent software can let you choose the maximum bandwidth available for others, then why not when you have a way to set the maximum made available to others?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'd share my WiFi if a lot people were not a bunch of greedy asshats who seem to only download illegal stuff on my WiFi.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Comcast has been doing this for years now... There's good & bad with this, but if Steve dreamed this up. Give it a go, right?

Hmmmmm, Yes, the macro outweighs the micro... This is a good thing, especially as AC routers make their voyage into urban areas. Comcast has to step up their game with their actual routers themselves more than anything with the sustianable speeds they already technically could capably offer to the consumer.

My Apple Airport destroys any Comnasty router out, but I still need the speed, data speed.

Soon, Apple TVs will take over Comcasts cable box, as speeds seek triple-digits sooner than later for consumer use.

Give it 2 to 3 years, and you will see a heavy trend in people putting aside High Def cable, and incline for video streaming from a device like an Apple TV.

XBox/Microsoft would be smart to enrich the TV stream experience on the xBox Dos... Times are aaa changing.

MediaO

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
Mesh Networks

Isn't this just a description of a Mesh Network. These exist already. Spain has a huge one I believe. In the thousands. And pier to pier phone mesh networks can be created on Android phones which has been crucial to efforts in places like Haiti when the cell towers were wiped out.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Who the hell can do this, with data caps? :mad:

I can say that urban areas of the U.S. have only abuse-level data caps on home Internet connections, for the most part. Maybe not on DSL. I can and have comfortably sent 200GB in a day over the Internet on my connection. So we the hell can do it :) (anyone remember Star Trek - The Voyage Home?).

----------

Comcast has been doing this for years now... There's good & bad with this, but if Steve dreamed this up. Give it a go, right?

Hmmmmm, Yes, the macro outweighs the micro... This is a good thing, especially as AC routers make their voyage into urban areas. Comcast has to step up their game with their actual routers themselves more than anything with the sustianable speeds they already technically could capably offer to the consumer.

Someone earlier outlined everything that would have to happen for this to work, including separate responsibility for people on the guest network. I would not trust unknown guests not to get my IP address onto blacklists, or worse.

----------

Quite the opposite. The NSA, MPAA, RIAA, Comcast, etc much prefer you to be easily identified and tied to your own network. Then you have no defense when they drag you in front of a court and say an IP on your private network accessed content they don't approve of and you should be billed or incarcerated for it.

This is correct, and the site you linked explains this too. It's like obfuscation. No IP address would claim responsibility for anything. Now that I'm a server admin who may have to deal with attacks in the future, though, I'm not sure if this is a good thing.

oogje

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2002
nyc
The KPN/Fon implementation has different IP addresses for the guests and host.

From the FAQ (google translated):
Am I liable if someone using my HotSpot commits criminal business on the internet? No, you are not liable for the behavior of visitors to the HotSpot. The movement of the HotSpot and the private use is strictly separated and uses different IP addresses

GBrooks

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
London, UK
It's been said many times before, but BT offer this in the UK. You can dedicate a small amount of bandwidth to a public network and in return, you get to use this network when you are out and about yourself. You can opt out but that just means you can't use any other BT Hotspots.

I've found it to suck personally, it only seems to connect 5% of the time...

Gaspode67

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Oxon, UK
It's been said many times before, but BT offer this in the UK. You can dedicate a small amount of bandwidth to a public network and in return, you get to use this network when you are out and about yourself. You can opt out but that just means you can't use any other BT Hotspots.

I've found it to suck personally, it only seems to connect 5% of the time...

It depends how many folks in the area are with BT, that's all. I'll often get the chime from BTWifi app logging in when I'm in town, but less so when I'm out in the villages in the countryside. What's nice is that it also works when you're abroad if the country has Fon rolled out, as Fon is the backbone of the BTWifi system. In fact for a while it was called BTFon before they decided to re-brand it to BTWifi and have all the free hotspots broadcast as BTWifi. So, if you're in Spain and spot a Fon hotspot, you can log in using your BT ID and hey presto you're online over wifi!

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Sorry -

This was a "Steve Jobs" idea?

You will never get something for free if others are making money.

Only the government can enact free widespread wifi.

If you disagree, then why hasn't google or amazon or one of the other multi-billion dollar companies made it happen (or even Apple)?

Yes there are pockets but they are not available to all and insufficient in scope.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Monthly caps

I find it funny when I read about people who complain about their 350GB monthly cap. Try a 35GB monthly cap.

KVdB

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2014
Belgium has this already a couple of years

Hi, for me this isn't something new. In Belgium, this system already exist for a couple of years. This is really useful: it's free (no cellular costs, included in your package), it's unlimited (like at home) and it is still faster/constant than cellular. The only thing that should improve is the ability to cross-over automatically to a new router, so you can walk an be on wifi constantly. Like you can see on the map (see link) in a city, this is already possible (coverage is almost everywhere very dense).

http://telenet.be/nl/wi-free#wifreeinjebuurt

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
You have a data transfer quota on your home internet?! :eek:

That's what I said the first time I got an e-mail saying I had exceeded it. They sure didn't make it apparent when I signed up for the service. And if you go to their website now and try to look at the different packages to see what the quotas are, good luck. It's certainly not something they want to brag about. The natural observation is that they want to effectively disallow "cord cutters" from just streaming everything rather than subscribing to their overpriced cable TV service. Maddening.

The speed is fine, but if I download at full speed, I go over my monthly quota in about 14 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.