Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Purple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Is George Orwell's prediction coming true - slowly?
Is this trend fueled by Steve Jobs?
Does SJ wants to control via iTunesStore what millions (billions?) of people in the world listen to, watch or read?
Could the following message by Gizmodo.com be read differently:

"Bad luck, non-US countries. iBooks won't be available from launch in any country other than the US. That could mean Apple's still to finesse the licensing details with book publishers in each country, or you're just plain out of luck.

While I doubt they could write off one of the most attractive features of the iPad that easily, it's disappointing that there'll be a delay in other countries. Apple's Australian website is one of the first sites to have any trace of the iPad, which confirms the lack of ebooks."

Please confirm that I am wrong.

Until now I was an Apple fan - since 1982!

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
George Orwell would be sorrow to see that his prediction comes true - slowly.
And this trend is fueled by Steve Jobs.
Obviously SJ wants to control via iTunesStore what millions (billions?) of people in the world listen to, watch or read.
Could the following message by Gizmodo.com be read differently:

"Bad luck, non-US countries. iBooks won't be available from launch in any country other than the US. That could mean Apple's still to finesse the licensing details with book publishers in each country, or you're just plain out of luck.

While I doubt they could write off one of the most attractive features of the iPad that easily, it's disappointing that there'll be a delay in other countries. Apple's Australian website is one of the first sites to have any trace of the iPad, which confirms the lack of ebooks."

Horror!

This isn't Apple's fault; if it were Apple's decision the content would be available on day one. This you can blame squarely on the content owners and distributors.

John Purple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
This isn't Apple's fault; if it were Apple's decision the content would be available on day one. This you can blame squarely on the content owners and distributors.

1. Sorry I was a bit to fast. I changed the text. See above.

2. Yes I can, because it would be perfectly legal to scan ones books with OCR or use memos or other stuff and read it via iPad.
It's like copying your music on CDs to your iTunes library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.