Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
It is very interesting and he makes a few good points, but isn't it amazing how well the whole proprietary system works for Apple? On paper it looks like Apple should not be growing and everyone should be flocking to MS. Jobs is defying a lot of the order of the universe, and seems to be doing just fine.

I do believe however, that music falls into a different category than opening up OS X to just any hardware. Music is wonderful, but how can you compare it to an Operating System? I think I still agree with the quote Steve Jobs said at the last keynote, that those who are serious about software, should make their own hardware.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
The difference between DRM for an OS and for music is quite dramatic. I've spent thousands of dollars on my music collection, and I fully hope to be able to listen to music I purchased in 1987 for the rest of my life.

I have no expectation of using the same OS I use now in even 5 years' time. If Apple's DRM locked me into that, I would never buy an Apple computer. But for my documents, music, etc., there is no DRM other than protected AACs. And even those can play on the other major OS, or I can convert them to unprotected AIFs. I don't see either type of DRM as especially burdensome, and I certainly don't think Jobs is hypocritical for advocating DRM in one situation and not another.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
huh, exactly, give up DRM? Steve Jobs was only making a talk at other ppl's expense, he doesn't need to do anything, and yeah, all Apple's stuff is restricted. far away from "free".

"those who are serious about software, should make their own hardware."
is a lie.
for a computer, what are the most important hardware? LCD, CPU, Graphic card, RAM, Harddrive? which of any Apple is making? Lie, lie, lie, can't buy into that lie.

Did Steve sleep with his wife? :p

That was harsh.

With regard to Mac OS X, MS should stop forcing windows on consumers.

like u have any choice on a mac. lol

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
huh, exactly, give up DRM? Steve Jobs was only making a talk at other ppl's expense, he doesn't need to do anything, and yeah, all Apple's stuff is restricted. far away from "free".

is a lie.
for a computer, what are the most important hardware? LCD, CPU, Graphic card, RAM, Harddrive? which of any Apple is making? Lie, lie, lie, can't buy into that lie.

Clevin - up Apple-bashing early are you? Any credibility you once had has long evaporated. Take a hike.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
is a lie.

Ok, so maybe "make" isn't the right word, but they do design it, and that is where the heart of the quote lies. I hadn't heard of anyone taking that quote so literally before.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Clevin - up Apple-bashing early are you? Any credibility you once had has long evaporated. Take a hike.

clevin actually has a very valid point, you, on the other hand, dont.

apple doesn't make any hardware... HP, Sony, and many more computer company all make way more computer hardware than apple does.

so you quit your little credibility talk, it's getting really old. and get a little credibility before you open your big mouth again. your length of membership and number of posts suggests your lack of credibility against clevin.

now go, have you done your algebra I homework?

Ok, so maybe "make" isn't the right word, but they do design it, and that is where the heart of the quote lies. I hadn't heard of anyone taking that quote so literally before.

now tell me, what did apple design? compare apple to, say, dell, what more did apple put in "designing" or "making" the hardware, except making it restrictive?

not that i mind the hardware is being restrictive, i do want apple to spend a little bit more R&D on Macs. and i hate when ppl think apple is doing so much for us and I better be grateful.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
now tell me, what did apple design? compare apple to, say, dell, what more did apple put in "designing" or "making" the hardware, except making it restrictive?

Apple designed their hardware to specifically run their own software. OS X is designed to run optimally on the hardware they produce resulting in superior stability (or that's the theory anyway, but so far I've discovered this to be true. Every PC I owned always had at least a few hardware compatibility problems).

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Apple designed their hardware to specifically run their own software. OS X is designed to run optimally on the hardware they produce resulting in superior stability (or that's the theory anyway, but so far I've discovered this to be true. Every PC I owned always had at least a few hardware compatibility problems).

so basically to my question of "what did apple design" you told me "apple designed"?

apple merely designed it to allow their software to run, and nothing beyond that.

and about the hardware compatibility problems? i'd imagine kernel panic are to some level caused by that.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
so basically to my question of "what did apple design" you told me "apple designed"?

apple merely designed it to allow their software to run, and nothing beyond that.

and about the hardware compatibility problems? i'd imagine kernel panic are to some level caused by that.

I guess I wasn't sure what you were meaning. Everything Apple makes has that little statement everywhere "Designed by Apple in California". Their iPods, Macs etc... Apple "designs" all their hardware compared to Microsoft who used someone else's hardware for the Zune and branded it as a Microsoft.

I've run OS X for 2.5 years and have never experienced a single Kernel panic. I had an HP laptop for 2 years and Windows would crash weekly and once a month the registry would become corrupted.

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
What an idiot, apple will never license there OS to anyone else, this would destroy there hardware business and would have to sell hundreds of millions of copies of OSX before they could could make up the money lost from Hardware sales, also you then have to build drivers into your OS for all of the other parts that would be in different PCs this would then make it unstable like windows, steve said at macworld, people who make thier own software should make their own hardware

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I guess I wasn't sure what you were meaning. Everything Apple makes has that little statement everywhere "Designed by Apple in California". Their iPods, Macs etc... Apple "designs" all their hardware compared to Microsoft who used someone else's hardware for the Zune and branded it as a Microsoft.
that's the most childish comment i've ever heard! Microsoft put in much more design in Zune (however bad one might think of Zune) than Apple has put in Macintosh. Just because Apple put "Designed by Apple in California" doesn't mean they did every single energy balance in the Mac and decided where to put every single resistor, it just meant Apple california put it together, and it's branded Apple.

Apple certainly put way more design in iPod.

I've run OS X for 2.5 years and have never experienced a single Kernel panic. I had an HP laptop for 2 years and Windows would crash weekly and once a month the registry would become corrupted.

there are ppl getting kernel panics quite frequent, you were lucky.

there are ppl who rarely got their windows crashed, and get their registry corrupted:rolleyes: ... it means either you use poorly designed software (and i dont mean windows) that killed your computer, or you killed your computer yourself.

steve said at macworld, people who make thier own software should make their own hardware
Steve your God said it at macworld eh?

he basically meant they only use certain hardware, and package those drivers in... and not support the rest, so if you use the rest and bring down your system, it's not apple's fault (now that was cleaverly put responsibility onto other people, aka the users.)

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but you do. You can run other OS's, like Windows, under Boot Camp or Parallels.

how do you run parallel on mac without having to use os x?

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
that's the most childish comment i've ever heard! Microsoft put in much more design in Zune (however bad one might think of Zune) than Apple has put in Macintosh. Just because Apple put "Designed by Apple in California" doesn't mean they did every single energy balance in the Mac and decided where to put every single resistor, it just meant Apple california put it together, and it's branded Apple.

Apple certainly put way more design in iPod.

there are ppl getting kernel panics quite frequent, you were lucky.

there are ppl who rarely got their windows crashed, and get their registry corrupted:rolleyes: ... it means either you use poorly designed software (and i dont mean windows) that killed your computer, or you killed your computer yourself.

Steve your God said it at macworld eh?

he basically meant they only use certain hardware, and package those drivers in... and not support the rest, so if you use the rest and bring down your system, it's not apple's fault (now that was cleaverly put responsibility onto other people, aka the users.)
Well he was quoting some other guy, but i don't remember saying he was my god

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006

hopefully, u will discuss content rather than attack messenger like GOPs do. will not bother reply u with these bs next time. :p

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA

There is no reason to be rude. Microsoft did not design the Zune player, it was designed and made by Toshiba http://www.pvrwire.com/2006/08/25/microsoft-zune-toshiba-1089/ and MS just did the software for it. I think the word "design" does get used a little too broadly sometimes. Of course Apple didn't "decide where to put every single resistor", but they designed a way for them to all fit together, including the OS with the hardware. All I am pointing out, is that it seems to work pretty well.

If you don't want Mac OS X, use Boot Camp and windows.

Technically you still need OS X to run Boot Camp... But only for about half an hour

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but you do. You can run other OS's, like Windows, under Boot Camp or Parallels.

i was being sarcastic, yes, im aware u can use windows, or linux on mac, but when the guy accused M$ of "forcing windows on consumers", what exactly did M$ limited his choice? M$ didn't point a gun at consumers, M$ didn't even have any limitation about what version of windows, what combination of hardware u can use, to talk about restrictions, apple is the much bigger target than M$. anytime, anywhere.

if M$'s ads is "forcing", he should see apple's "get a Mac" ads. now thats called "pushing".

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
but they designed a way for them to all fit together, including the OS with the hardware. All I am pointing out, is that it seems to work pretty well.
they designed the OS X, and i love the OS X... but in term of hardware, they designed the form factor, which by no mean contribute to the stability of the system (one can even argue the choice of hardware design made it too hot, too whiny, bad display, etc)

Technically you still need OS X to run Boot Camp...

Technically, you don't need Boot Camp to run Windows on a Mac

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006

lol, i don't believe it, OSX is optimized with
intel CPU+xxx harddrive+xxxLCD+xxx memory?

u try build ur own machine withe xactly same specs, and see if u can run OSX.

All excuses, all excuses. are u gonna tell me apple use special glue to connect these hardwares? LOL

annexw

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2006
Everything Apple makes has that little statement everywhere "Designed by Apple in California".

Now I honestly thought they put that one there to attach the "Buy American" setiment to a product built in China. I work for an Apple Educational Reseller and have had customers try to convince me that I must be wrong that thier laptop has just shipped from Xilong China (while I'm looking at the FedEx tracking info) because it says "Designed in California" on the box.

That just means they drew it in Cali. The rest? Outsourced. Its like Dell printers, it may say Dell on the bx, but inside its a Lexmark. It may say Apple on the outside but on the inside? Hitachi, Sony, ATI etc etc.

Doesn't mean they aren't good systems, it just means all this talk of designing thier own hardware is kinda bogus.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
they designed the OS X, and i love the OS X... but in term of hardware, they designed the form factor, which by no mean contribute to the stability of the system (one can even argue the choice of hardware design made it too hot, too whiny, bad display, etc)

I'll agree with that, but I think OS X wouldn't be so nice if just anyone started putting it on their own hardware. But as clevin points out, you can still use the exact same hardware anyway in a different enclosure and still won't work...

intel CPU+xxx harddrive+xxxLCD+xxx memory?

But this points out that it is optimized. Even though you can still pick out the exact same hardware doesn't detract from the fact that it is still optimized for that same hardware, it's just not put together by Apple. Which is, I know, what everyone complains about, but Apple is making a ton of money doing it this way, and what doesn't give them the right to do it? I know people hate it (and me to an extent), but just because we don't like it doesn't mean that they can't do what they are doing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.